From: Peter on
> On 2010-04-03 20:39:36 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Peter,
>>> If you are doing all your shooting in RAW, you should be able to make
>>> the adjustments in ACR or whatever RAW converter you are using.
>>> I am making the assumption you are dong more than White Balance
>>> adjustments with ACR or your RAW converter.
>>>
>>> Just to check, here is ACR "White Balance" adjust panel;
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ACR-WB-01.jpg
>>>
>>> Then "Camera Profile" panel;
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ACR-Camera%20Profile-01.jpg
>>>
>>> and "Hue, Saturation & Luminosity" (HSL) panel;
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ACR-HSL-01.jpg
>>>
>>> Those alone should give you what you need to make the adjustments to
>>> those reds.
>>>
>>> There are all the other adjustment available in ACR, so give them a try.
>>>

>> I try to do as much as I can in ACR, except sharpening. My red problem is
>> only with flowers. The problem with ACR is that it shifts all colors.
>> Also, when I view the flower in the camera LCD it looks washed out even
>> though the histogram shows proper exposure.
>>
>> Also,
>
> In ACR have you tried the "targeted Adjustment Tool" from the toolbar in
> conjunction with the HSL panel.
> Select that tool, open HSL, pick H, S, or L click in the ajustment value
> window. place the tool on the flower needing adjustment, and click & drag
> to left or right to adjust the target.

thanks, I still have a lot to learn

--
Peter

From: Martin Brown on
Peter wrote:
> "Mike Russell" <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote in message
>> Steve JORDI <stevejordiI_REALLY_HATE_SPAMMERS(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I tried to find an explanation on the web but without success.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know why the red color looks so ugly when a digital
>>> picture is saved as JPG?
>>
>> This is not always the case. Usually the blue channel is the weakest of
>> the three - more noise and less shadow detail.
>>
>>> It looks like it's the only dominant color that gets very pixelated
>>> and grainy.
>>> The cause of this artefact?
>>
>> It's hard to answer this without seeing an image that demonstrates
>> what you
>> are saying. There could be several reasons for a poor quality red
>> channel:
>>
>> 1) lighting - skylight is strong in blue, weakest in red, and could cause
>> noise and jpeg artifacting, which matches some of what you are describing
>> 2) exposure - saturated red objects, roses being an example, often
>> blow out
>> the red channel, resulting in orange or yellow areas with little detail
>

> Mike, thanks for the explanation of my issues shooting red flowers.
> Do you have any suggestions for a cure?

It would be a lot easier if you posted an example of the sort of
problems you are encountering. Psychic remote viewing and guessing is
not effective at judging photographs. A sample image would be invaluable
here - preferably in PNG format showing the detail problem that you
refer to.

The smaller number of red photosites in a Bayer sensor means that
resolution is degraded in the absence of any strong luminance contrast.
But it should work OK for fine black detail on a red ground provided
that you stick to raw an use a reputable converter. It is one example
where the Foveon tricolour sensor would be beneficial.

The JPEG images out of a normal digicam are already chroma subsampled
2x1 and no current mainstream decoders reproduce that faithfully where
high saturation red or blue colours are combined with black detail.

Regards,
Martin Brown