From: Robert Myers on
On Aug 3, 11:52 am, Bernd Paysan <bernd.pay...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Andy Glew wrote:
> > 256 *BYTE*?
>
> > 2048 bits?
>
> > Line sizes 4X the typical 64B line size of x86?
>
> > These aren't cache lines.  They are disk blocks.
>
> What do you expect?  Bandwidth and latency change differently.  My rule of
> thumb is that transfer time = access time, and that should work for disks as
> well as for memories.

That just repeats the old (and wrong) saw that you can always add
bandwidth but latency is forever, but I'm getting tired of arguing
about it.

For some applications, latency is irrelevant and wasted bandwidth is
intolerable.

You are entitled to your prejudices and even your misconceptions, but
I'm tired of seeing the same claims over and over without so much as
an asterisk.

Robert.

 The fact that disk sectors are still 512 bytes is

From: Noob on
Bernd Paysan wrote:

> The fact that disk sectors are still 512 bytes is just legacy stuff,
> they should have increased to about a megabyte by now.

Haven't most HDD manufacturers completed the transition to 4K sectors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format