From: Michael on
At work, we have some people who use redirect or forward rules to
receive their mail at home instead of using OWA, which we have allowed
for. Recently, we have had complaints of bounces from an e-mail
address that doesn't exist from some people who are sending to
Distribution Lists in Exchange 2007.

The behavior of the server is such that I can't seem to find the
originator in our system who is redirecting mail to this outside
disabled account. Since they are using Redirect instead of Forward
rules, the original sender is receiving the NDR instead of the person
with the bad rule.

I have the bouncing e-mail address, but can't find who is redirecting
to it.

Can anyone offer a suggestion to tracking the mailbox rule that is
causing this?

Thank you,

Michael Dzikowski
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:04:39 -0800 (PST), Michael <dzikowmj(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>At work, we have some people who use redirect or forward rules to
>receive their mail at home instead of using OWA, which we have allowed
>for. Recently, we have had complaints of bounces from an e-mail
>address that doesn't exist from some people who are sending to
>Distribution Lists in Exchange 2007.
>
>The behavior of the server is such that I can't seem to find the
>originator in our system who is redirecting mail to this outside
>disabled account. Since they are using Redirect instead of Forward
>rules, the original sender is receiving the NDR instead of the person
>with the bad rule.
>
>I have the bouncing e-mail address, but can't find who is redirecting
>to it.
>
>Can anyone offer a suggestion to tracking the mailbox rule that is
>causing this?

If you have the message-id (I think) you should be able to find it in
the message tracking logs.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP