From: tempman on
Hello,
I want to reduce a database in SQL Server 2000. The problem is that it has
the datafiles with a initial size very high. I've done a logical backup, done
a command script for generating the database, but I've changed the initial
size of database to a size very short in that script. Then, I create the
database with that script, but the problem is that when I go to restore the
logical backup, it shows again the initial size of datafiles that it had
before ... How can I reduce that database?
I'm sorry for my bad english, I hope that you can understand me.
Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...
From: Tibor Karaszi on
You can't reduce the size of a database using backup/restore. The restore
process will create (overwrite if already exist) with same size as it had
originally. So, forget about backup and restore. If you really need to
reduce size, use DBCC SHRINKFILE. More info here:
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: tempman on
Thank you very much Tibor.
Yes, I know dbcc shrinkfile, I use it for reducing transaction log of my
database. I were using dbcc shrinkdatabase, buf I had that problem too, when
I did restore, it returned to the same size as it had originally.
If I do restore, and I do dbcc shrinkfile, for each datafile of my database
(the database has many datafiles ...), I will can reduce the datafiles?
Although its original size was more great :-?
Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Restore will re-create the existing database (if exists) to the same size as
the one you did a backup of. I.e., you cannot make a db smaller using
backup/restore. So, shrink either before backup or after restore is the way
to go.

From: Jay on
Yes.

Just don't do a restore after the shrinkfile.