From: Thomas Steinmaurer on
Hello,

not sure if this is an appropriate group for this question, but SQL
server is part of that ...

Basically I'm looking for some kind of reference architecture for a
project which is basically about mobile data acquisition. On an embedded
device running WinCE and SQL Compact Edition 3.5, measurement data is
received by external devices (e.g. via CAN bus), locally stored in the
compact edition database and then transmitted via GSM, satellite ... to
a central database server running SQL Server 2005 Standard.

Using Microsoft technologies (WinCE, SQL Compact Edition, SQL 2005 ...)
I wonder how an (reference) architecture could look like? Especially
interesting is the method to transfer data to the server. Not sure, if
e.g. a web service on the server-side would be best or "plain" SQL
server-based replication etc.

I wonder how others would design and implement such an architecture?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas
From: Manpreet Singh on
HI Thomas

You can you SQL server replication to copy data from SQL server compact
edition to sql server standard edition. All you need is an active link
between both SQL servers.

Probably this link will help you understanding the compact edition
replication :-

Manpreet Singh
http://crazysql.wordpress.com/
MCITP (DBA, Developer),
MCTS (MOSS 2007), ITILv3F

From: Thomas Steinmaurer on
Hi!

> You can you SQL server replication to copy data from SQL server compact
> edition to sql server standard edition. All you need is an active link
> between both SQL servers.
>
> Probably this link will help you understanding the compact edition
> replication :-

Thanks! Beside pure replication, what other mechanism are possible to
move data from the embedded device into a central database? Another
requirement is to have a bidirectional communication channel between the
server and the mobile device, e.g. for uploading parameter sets to the
device from a centralized repositories etc.

For example the embedded service calling a web service on the server
etc. I'm just seeking for ideas/approaches for such an architecture.

Thanks,
Thomas