From: MZeeshan on
I read in one of the blogs that Microsoft recommends settingup "Pass Through
Disks" as compared to "Fixed" or "Dynamic" disk in VMs. Is this the official
policy and can I get any white paper, weblink on that?

I was talking to the Storage Engineer at my workplace and he remarked that
Pass Through Disks would render ineffective the benefits of virtualization.
If so, can we arrive at a middle ground of using Fixed Disks?
From: John Bell on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:01:02 -0700, MZeeshan
<mzeeshan(a)community.nospam> wrote:

>I read in one of the blogs that Microsoft recommends settingup "Pass Through
>Disks" as compared to "Fixed" or "Dynamic" disk in VMs. Is this the official
>policy and can I get any white paper, weblink on that?
>
>I was talking to the Storage Engineer at my workplace and he remarked that
>Pass Through Disks would render ineffective the benefits of virtualization.
>If so, can we arrive at a middle ground of using Fixed Disks?

Hi

This has a small bit comparing VHDs and Pass-through
http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/F/B/CFB498D0-37B0-4805-9B41-EE2FCA3F1196/SQL%20Sustainability%20Technical%20White%20Paper.doc

But if you are not in a situation where you can use pass-through the
recommendation is to use fixed VHDs.

You may also want to look at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5b72bd51-df66-43a0-aca6-d23bf0d7f44d&displaylang=en&Hash=GN%2fnR04O%2fIiFFHWD7VgEVM877dymq5F3P7CCgsEP7%2bLDesurZjHBvURbMvjpOkre3BUUl6Fn0WZd7Xy9YDnuCQ%3d%3d#filelist

John