From: tbaze on
What do trace flags -t3601 / t3603 do and are there performance hits from
using them?
From: Erland Sommarskog on
tbaze (tbaze(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> What do trace flags -t3601 / t3603 do and are there performance hits from
> using them?

The situation you would use them is when SQL Server bombs on startup,
because you have a number of processes that is not a power of 2. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq/default.aspx?p=7.

Generally, you should not use trace flags not documented in Books Online
(and BOL has a very small number), unless you are adviced to by a
support engineer, or you find a KB article, or this case an official blog,
which describes a scenario you have run into, and the trace flag addresses
the issue.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: tbaze on

"tbaze" wrote:

> What do trace flags -t3601 / t3603 do and are there performance hits from
> using them?

Yes, I found them using that same blog post and have a clustered SQL
environment up and running with the flags. The customer, however, wants to
know what the formal definition of the flags are as well as any performance
impact. That is not clearly defined in the post.
From: Scott Morris on
"tbaze" <tbaze(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "tbaze" wrote:
>
>> What do trace flags -t3601 / t3603 do and are there performance hits from
>> using them?
>
> Yes, I found them using that same blog post and have a clustered SQL
> environment up and running with the flags. The customer, however, wants
> know what the formal definition of the flags are as well as any
> performance
> impact. That is not clearly defined in the post.

Then talk to Microsoft support. Undocumented trace flags are not for
general use.