From: Mojo on
Hi All

I've used the shockwave flash component to good effect in my vb6 app, but
when I tried to add this ocx (flash10e.ocx by the way) as part of my
installler InnoSetup can't register the component. Keeps giving a 0x5
error.

Some have said don't worry about it as flash is installed by default in
windows these days, but looking at my ticked reference/component in the
Project's usual window it specifically relates to flash10e.ocx.

Now my past experience on these references is that if you do this with say
Word then if the target machine has anything, but Word10 then it won't work.
This process seems to suggest that if the target machine doesn't
specifically have flash10e.ocx installed then it won't work!!! Am I right?

I've tried to untick it like I have with the Word reference and use generic
objects, but it won't do it. I think it's because I've selected a component
rather than a reference, but I might be wrong.

Has anybody had this problem as well?

Any way round it?

Thanks

From: Dee Earley on
On 07/04/2010 21:09, Mojo wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've used the shockwave flash component to good effect in my vb6 app, but
> when I tried to add this ocx (flash10e.ocx by the way) as part of my
> installler InnoSetup can't register the component. Keeps giving a 0x5
> error.
>
> Some have said don't worry about it as flash is installed by default in
> windows these days, but looking at my ticked reference/component in the
> Project's usual window it specifically relates to flash10e.ocx.
>
> Now my past experience on these references is that if you do this with say
> Word then if the target machine has anything, but Word10 then it won't work.
> This process seems to suggest that if the target machine doesn't
> specifically have flash10e.ocx installed then it won't work!!! Am I right?

Mostly.
Newer (differently named) OCXs can implement the same interfaces, but it
is common practice to keep the same name and preserve backwards
compatibility.

> I've tried to untick it like I have with the Word reference and use generic
> objects, but it won't do it. I think it's because I've selected a component
> rather than a reference, but I might be wrong.

You can create controls/components at runtime by using controls.add with
its ProgID. I'm not sure what it is off hand, but you should see it if
you look at the .frm file in notepad.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team