From: Mark Read on
Hi,

I have an image that displays in graphical format, content from a database that is
constantly changing. I would like to be able to display certain information using
tool-tips by using an image map.

The image refreshes using js every 10 seconds, meaning that the image map is soon
out of date.

The image and map are built using php, and the map (a flat file) is inserted using
a php 'include'.

I'm sure there must be a way of updating the map without reloading the page, but
despite extensive googling, I've yet to come up with anything that works.

Would someone give me a nudge in the right direction please? I daresay I haven't
explained things too well, so feel free to ask me what I'm babbling on about. ;-)

- Steve
From: Sean Kinsey on
On Apr 19, 2:02 pm, j80k-v...(a)dea.spamcon.org (Mark Read) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an image that displays in graphical format, content from a database that is
> constantly changing. I would like to be able to display certain information using
> tool-tips by using an image map.
>
> The image refreshes using js every 10 seconds, meaning that the image map is soon
> out of date.
>
> The image and map are built using php, and the map (a flat file) is inserted using
> a php 'include'.
>
> I'm sure there must be a way of updating the map without reloading the page, but
> despite extensive googling, I've yet to come up with anything that works.
>
> Would someone give me a nudge in the right direction please? I daresay I haven't
> explained things too well, so feel free to ask me what I'm babbling on about. ;-)

The word AJAX comes to mind...
From: Mark Read on
In article <dbe84444-2e66-4851-a9f6-a5fc0b99a645(a)z7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
okinsey(a)gmail.com (Sean Kinsey) wrote:

> > Would someone give me a nudge in the right direction please? I
> > daresay I haven't
> > explained things too well, so feel free to ask me what I'm
> > babbling on about. ;-)
> >

> The word AJAX comes to mind...

Yes, I feel a whole new learning curve approaching. Fortunately, this is hobby
level. I just thought that there might be a DOM/innerHTML way of doing it, and me
just not able to see the wood for the trees.

- Steve
From: VK on
On Apr 19, 4:21 pm, j80k-v...(a)dea.spamcon.org (Mark Read) wrote:
> I just thought that there might be a DOM/innerHTML way of doing it, and me
> just not able to see the wood for the trees.

Well, the crucial question is if you need to update <map> data (areas'
definitions) as well on each update or the image map only. For the
latter it is trivia with imgMapObjectName.src = newSrc

From: Mark Read on
In article <eb26de02-5b21-4158-9dc7-3b04d990346e(a)b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
schools_ring(a)yahoo.com (VK) wrote:

> *From:* VK <schools_ring(a)yahoo.com>
> *Date:* Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
>
> On Apr 19, 4:21�pm, j80k-v...(a)dea.spamcon.org (Mark Read) wrote:
> > I just thought that there might be a DOM/innerHTML way of doing
> > it, and me
> > just not able to see the wood for the trees.
>
> Well, the crucial question is if you need to update <map> data
> (areas'
> definitions) as well on each update or the image map only. For the
> latter it is trivia with imgMapObjectName.src = newSrc

It will have to be all together, the image is a worldmap, there are 'events'
overlayed on the map as little coloured blobs. I would like to be able to hover the
mouse over the blob and it tell me what the 'event' was. I purposely left that bit
of info out, as I don't want to confuse the issue by having 'map' and 'mapmap'!!!!

It's a graphical version of the Ham Radio DX Cluster I'm working on. The map part
works, the mapmap is the issue. I hope that makes more sense ;-)

- Steve