From: BeeJ on
BeeJ has brought this to us :
> Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the "orphaned"
> (missing) once registered items that are listed in Project\References.
> So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
> In the registry?
> How do I locate and delete those items?

I used RegEdit to Find the References but it only finds the current and
active ones. The others that show up in References are not found in
the registry with Find. So does VB6 save these some place else?

From: ralph on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:19:13 -0700, BeeJ <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>BeeJ has brought this to us :
>> Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the "orphaned"
>> (missing) once registered items that are listed in Project\References.
>> So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
>> In the registry?
>> How do I locate and delete those items?
>
>I used RegEdit to Find the References but it only finds the current and
>active ones. The others that show up in References are not found in
>the registry with Find. So does VB6 save these some place else?

Yes, in the Project and Form files (for controls).

You can open those files with a text editor, and see what it is
looking for. But I'm still not sure what it is you expect to learn
from doing that. If a component is "missing" it is because the
Registry information no longer matches an existing component.

It sounds like you might be better off to just delete any "missing"
references. Make sure you have an existing component. Reregister it.
Then create a new reference.

-ralph
From: Mayayana on
| How do I find the references?
| I am afraid to use a tool like RegMon. I will probably blow up my PC.

Just don't light the fuse. :)

Seriously, though, Regmon just monitors access to
the Registry. What you want is something that
walks the HKCR\CLSID keys, checking all InProcServer32
and LocalServer32 subkeys to make sure their default
values point to a valid file. You might also check all
Typelib subkeys, which reference GUID keys under
HKCR\Typelib. As Kevin said before, it's really not
so farfetched to just write your own tool.