From: BeeJ on
Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the
"orphaned" (missing) once registered items that are listed in
Project\References.
So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
In the registry?
How do I locate and delete those items?

From: Kevin Provance on
"BeeJ" <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
: Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the
: "orphaned" (missing) once registered items that are listed in
: Project\References.
: So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
: In the registry?
: How do I locate and delete those items?

Fire up RegMon and look for yourself. That's what I would do.

From: ralph on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:48:38 -0700, BeeJ <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the
>"orphaned" (missing) once registered items that are listed in
>Project\References.
>So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
>In the registry?
>How do I locate and delete those items?

You can't do that with an outside tool.
(I hope I didn't give you that impression before. If I did it was
because I didn't realize you were asking for that kind of help.)

If something is marked "missing" then you have to either manually
change it to point to something valid or delete it. (Either through
the Reference menu item, or in the file.)

This is by design.

If you are constantly having this problem is probably because you are
not using the project and binary compatibility options.

It is useful to get the Interface (classes) worked out as soon as into
a project as you can. For the purpose of project/binary compatiblity
they don't need a full implementation. Just serve as placeholders as
stubbed out.

-ralph
From: BeeJ on
ralph wrote on 8/5/2010 :
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:48:38 -0700, BeeJ <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the
>> "orphaned" (missing) once registered items that are listed in
>> Project\References.
>> So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
>> In the registry?
>> How do I locate and delete those items?
>>

> You can't do that with an outside tool.
> (I hope I didn't give you that impression before. If I did it was
> because I didn't realize you were asking for that kind of help.)
>
> If something is marked "missing" then you have to either manually
> change it to point to something valid or delete it. (Either through
> the Reference menu item, or in the file.)
>
> This is by design.
>
> If you are constantly having this problem is probably because you are
> not using the project and binary compatibility options.
>
> It is useful to get the Interface (classes) worked out as soon as into
> a project as you can. For the purpose of project/binary compatiblity
> they don't need a full implementation. Just serve as placeholders as
> stubbed out.
>
> -ralph

The ones I see are ones that got registered then i forgot about them
and deleted the folders containing the files. Did that too many times.
I am now using a different folder structure so it won't (hopefully)
happen again. But I still would like to delete those cluttering
references.
How do I find the references?
I am afraid to use a tool like RegMon. I will probably blow up my PC.

From: BeeJ on
Kevin Provance formulated on Thursday :
> "BeeJ" <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Now I have several Reg Clean programs and none of them find the
>> "orphaned" (missing) once registered items that are listed in
>> Project\References.
>> So, does the VB6 IDE store this list elsewhere?
>> In the registry?
>> How do I locate and delete those items?
>
> Fire up RegMon and look for yourself. That's what I would do.

RegMon no longer is available. Now is ProcMon.
And I do not see what that can do for me locating stuff that shows up
in References.