From: Nobody on
"BeeJ" <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> So all this VB6 development has left junk all through my registry.
> OK so I don't know what I am doing.
> I like to create ActiveX EXEs etc and find the clutter of non-existent
> references in Project\References.
> And I cannot unRegester 'cause I screwed up and deleted a project that
> contained that registered reference.
>
> 1) how can I minimize it as I do development?

One idea if you can't maintain binary compatibility for some reason is that
before you compile, you must unregister the previously compiled file if it's
present. This way you don't see multiple copies in Project\References. You
can make a simple Add-in to always do that, so you don't have to do anything
manually. You can use the following Add-in as a template, and it should take
you 5 minutes to change it. Search the source for
"gobjVBBuildEvents_EnterRunMode", then on the editor's list of events
dropdown list, select "BeginCompile" event. One of the parameters for that
event has a property called "BuildFileName". I am not sure if it has the
full path or not. So in that event, check if the file exits, then shell to
regsvr32 to unregister it. Other things that you need to do:

- Change the project name from "ImmClear", to something else like
"VBAutoUnreg", because this is the component name in the registry, and it
needs to be different.
- Change the project description to "VB Auto Unregister". This will be used
as the Add-in name.
- Delete "EnterRunMode" event code if you don't want the immediate window to
be cleared when you run a project. This is what the Add-in originally does.
- Compile after making your changes, and use the file name "VBAutoUnreg.dll"
- Copy "VBAutoUnreg.dll" to the same folder and change the file name to
"VBAutoUnreg.com".
- Turn on "Binary Compatibility" and select the ".com" file. This is your
binary compatibility copy.
- Follow the ReadMe.txt file instructions on how to make the Add-in appear
in VB.

http://www.lockdesign.co.uk/immclear.htm

One thing to remember is that when you run a project in the IDE, VB6 would
register a special DLL file(VB6DEBUG.DLL), and use it as a gateway for
whatever is trying to talk to the component. So the component user doesn't
even know it's talking to the VB IDE as the details are hidden and
unimportant to the user. When you stop the project or it ends, these
registry entries are removed. When you compile, VB would auto register the
component EXE/DLL/OCX file, so it's ready for use. It doesn't unregister it
at all, so this has to be done manually if needed, or be using the Add-in
above after the modifications.

From: BeeJ on
Thanks. I will take a look at this.

From: Mayayana on
| So much for standard UI look and feel, eh?

Apparently TweakNow is supposed to look like
MS Office 2007. I don't know why people get so
faddish about every little GUI change that MS makes.
The layout looks clean and functional to me, but
it's actually reminiscent of a webpage -- a bit
cheap looking -- the kind of thing one would design
as an HTA or online AJAX software.

I don't mind if they want to get "webby", but I get
irritated that people feel free to crowd my system with
such useless stuff, adding a lot of unnecessary 3rd-party
controls.

| What's with with MSFT's RegClean? I still use it (on XP) and it does the
| job. It event creates a backup reg file which I typically go through to
see
| what was removed. If there is something I don't like, I put it back.

Ralph says (above) that it can be problematic with MS
Office. I used to use it years ago, but generally I don't
bother with Reg. Cleaners. I figure that most bad settings
are things that are never accessed and are therefore harmless.

From: MikeD on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> Ralph says (above) that it can be problematic with MS
> Office. I used to use it years ago, but generally I don't
> bother with Reg. Cleaners. I figure that most bad settings
> are things that are never accessed and are therefore harmless.

Other than bloating the Registry, which can marginally slow down Windows in
general. However, I don't think nearly as much as it used to.

--
Mike

From: Mayayana on
| > are things that are never accessed and are therefore harmless.
|

| Other than bloating the Registry, which can marginally slow down Windows
in
| general. However, I don't think nearly as much as it used to.

I'd be surprised if there's any effect. If I open
Regmon and then open IE I see about 8,000
Registry calls in about 1 second. Oddly, the vast
majority of what happens in the Registry seems to
be Windows -- or MS software -- that just keeps
repeating the same calls over and over again.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Creating html from vb
Next: Form Z order across the divide