From: MikeD on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> | > are things that are never accessed and are therefore harmless.
> |

> | Other than bloating the Registry, which can marginally slow down Windows
> in
> | general. However, I don't think nearly as much as it used to.
> |

> I'd be surprised if there's any effect. If I open
> Regmon and then open IE I see about 8,000
> Registry calls in about 1 second. Oddly, the vast
> majority of what happens in the Registry seems to
> be Windows -- or MS software -- that just keeps
> repeating the same calls over and over again.

But that's my point. The Registry is not what you could call an optimized,
well-indexed, database. So, the more it's bloated, the more time-consuming
it is to access anything in it. And as you pointed out, many programs and
Windows itself access the Registry 10s of thousands of times (can't really
put any kind of meaningful number to that because it depends on many, many
factors).

There used to be tools whose sole purpose was to clean and optimize the
Registry. They claimed to re-organized the Registry files (there used to be
2 files, but I think now there's 3). I suspect all they really did was
defrag the files, but that's just a guess because Windows' own defragger
wouldn't touch these particular files (and still doesn't AFAIK). But again,
I think this was mostly an issue with Win9x and perhaps Win2000 and became
much less an issue with XP. One thing's for sure and that's that you don't
see Registry *optimizers* touted like you used to, so that can really only
mean it's not the issue it once used to be.

--
Mike