From: Andrew Aronoff on
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 under MS Virtual PC (VPC) 2004 SP1. The
VPC XP install is perfectly clean as is the host system. I received
via e-mail a SOFTWARE hive from a system infected by adware.
RootKitRevealer was run on the infected PC and it identified a
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\InprocServer32 key with the following
anomaly:

Key name contains embedded nulls (*)

I copied the SOFTWARE hive to a folder accessible to the VPC install.
I opened REGEDIT and loaded the SOFTWARE hive. The InprocServer32 key
cannot be viewed. The error message is: "Cannot open InprocServer32:
Error while opening key." Ownership and permissions cannot be reset on
this key. Neither this key nor the parent key can be deleted.

How can this key be managed with Regedit so it can be deleted and,
optionally, viewed?

regards, Andy
--
**********

Please send e-mail to: usenet (dot) post (at) aaronoff (dot) com

To identify everything that starts up with Windows, download
"Silent Runners.vbs" at www.silentrunners.org

**********
From: Doug Knox MS-MVP on
Look into Bart's PE. Its a mini Windows environment. Regedit can be run from there, and the usual permissions and security measures don't apply.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP on