From: Blip on
This seems to me like a dumb question, but I don't know what the
answer is...

We are building a product using the LPC2368 (which has a MAC) & a
Micrel KSZ8721 (PHY). As part of the prototype programming effort, I
include a random MAC address in software as part of an init sequence.

When this goes onto other networks, the MAC addresses have a chance to
collide w/ *real* ones. It seems to me that NXP should provide the MAC
addess pool since they provide the MAC, but that's probably not true.

Do we need to go to the IEEE & purchase our own OUI?

Thanks for the advice...
From: Frank Buss on
Blip wrote:

> This seems to me like a dumb question, but I don't know what the
> answer is...
>
> We are building a product using the LPC2368 (which has a MAC) & a
> Micrel KSZ8721 (PHY). As part of the prototype programming effort, I
> include a random MAC address in software as part of an init sequence.
>
> When this goes onto other networks, the MAC addresses have a chance to
> collide w/ *real* ones. It seems to me that NXP should provide the MAC
> addess pool since they provide the MAC, but that's probably not true.
>
> Do we need to go to the IEEE & purchase our own OUI?

This depends on how many items you want to sell. You can buy an IAB, if you
want to sell less than 4097 items:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/registry_IAB.html

If you are planning to sell more, the $1,650 one-time fee for 24 bit
doesn't look very expensive:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/registry_OUI.html

I wonder if there is a reseller for buying smaller quantities of MAC
addresses, like for USB device PID/VIDs:

http://www.voti.nl/shop/p/USB-PID-10.html

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de
From: Frank Buss on
Frank Buss wrote:

> I wonder if there is a reseller for buying smaller quantities of MAC
> addresses, like for USB device PID/VIDs:
>
> http://www.voti.nl/shop/p/USB-PID-10.html

Looks like sale of the USB ids is suspended. At least I got 10 ids some
time ago :-)

http://www.voti.nl/pids/index.html

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de
From: JSprocket on
Blip wrote:

> We are building a product using the LPC2368 (which has a MAC) & a
> Micrel KSZ8721 (PHY). As part of the prototype programming effort, I
> include a random MAC address in software as part of an init sequence.
>
> When this goes onto other networks, the MAC addresses have a chance to
> collide w/ *real* ones. It seems to me that NXP should provide the MAC
> addess pool since they provide the MAC, but that's probably not true.
>
> Do we need to go to the IEEE & purchase our own OUI?

Suggestion: buy a batch of old (ISA for example) network cards, use the
PIDs from them and scrap them. Then you know they won't be out there.

JS
From: JSprocket on
JSprocket wrote:

> Suggestion: buy a batch of old (ISA for example) network cards, use the
> PIDs from them and scrap them. Then you know they won't be out there.

Meant MACs of course