From: Ginny Caughey on
A VO app that is only 15 lines of code? But for a bigger VO app where you
are already using COM to extend it, you only have to do that once and then
just hang onto the COM reference to reuse over and over.

I am a bit curious why you need to access the registry in the first place
though.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Geoff Schaller on
Ginny,

It really is 15 lines of code - using RegOpenKeyEx () so there is no
need for COM or C#. One of the few things regular VO can do <g>.

Why? Well we help other VO companies maintain existing code and port it
to 2.8 SP3. We just came across one app that they had that worked
perfectly in 32 bit but failed in 64. What I found were some registry
lookups detecting instance names of SQL Server instances and so you need
to use the registry. Blame MS for this <g>.

So, simply adding the mask was the simple way out.

Cheers,

Geoff

From: Ginny Caughey on
Makes sense in that situation.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Geoff Schaller on
In fact I was annoyed I had to resurrect my registry classes. I had
deleted them 2 years ago <g>.

In this case it is the only way to detect instance names. If you try a
connection to determine if an instance exists you suffer a time-out
wait. The registry way is utterly instantaneous. Of course it doesn't
tell you if the server is running but at least you know it should be...

From: Ginny Caughey on
That does seem like a hard way to get a connection - I'd have thought the
app would know some other way - but whatever the customer wants (within
reason).

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com