From: Owner on
Regular Expression Search Algorithm
Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.

I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?

From: Stuart Golodetz on
Owner wrote:
> Regular Expression Search Algorithm
> Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.
>
> I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?

Here's a link:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.107.9868&rep=rep1&type=pdf

For future ref., GSIYF (Google Scholar is your friend :))

Regards,
Stu
From: Ben Bacarisse on
Owner <Owner(a)Owner-PC.com> writes:

> Regular Expression Search Algorithm
> Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.
>
> I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?

You can find it using Google scholar -- just search for the title. It's
interesting although the technique (compiling REs to machine code) will
probably have fallen out of fashion since 1968.

There is some reason to think that it might be back in fashion in that
languages built with JIT compilers and a VM might use the technique.
I imagine it would be quite fast.

You probably also want to read:

A compact function for regular expression pattern matching
Martin Richards
Software: Practice and Experience
Volume 9, Issue 7, Pages 527-534.

but I can't find that one online without paying[1]. Neither paper is
"state-of-the-art" but that's useful if you are learning the basics.

[1] I would not mind paying if Martin Richards got any of it. I'd be
pleased if the people who refereed the paper, or maybe the editor, got
some of it, but I am not keen to pay the publisher since they have,
presumably, already recouped their costs since 1979.

--
Ben.
From: Owner on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:12:05 +0100, Stuart Golodetz wrote:

> Owner wrote:
>> Regular Expression Search Algorithm
>> Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.
>>
>> I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?
>
> Here's a link:
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.107.9868&rep=rep1&type=pdf
>
> For future ref., GSIYF (Google Scholar is your friend :))
>
> Regards,
> Stu

Thank you for the link

From: Owner on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:37:43 +0100, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Owner <Owner(a)Owner-PC.com> writes:
>
>> Regular Expression Search Algorithm
>> Ken Thompson. Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 419--422.
>>
>> I'm looking for this document. Does anyone have it in pdf?
>
> You can find it using Google scholar -- just search for the title. It's
> interesting although the technique (compiling REs to machine code) will
> probably have fallen out of fashion since 1968.
>
> There is some reason to think that it might be back in fashion in that
> languages built with JIT compilers and a VM might use the technique.
> I imagine it would be quite fast.
>
> You probably also want to read:
>
> A compact function for regular expression pattern matching
> Martin Richards
> Software: Practice and Experience
> Volume 9, Issue 7, Pages 527-534.
>
> but I can't find that one online without paying[1]. Neither paper is
> "state-of-the-art" but that's useful if you are learning the basics.
>
> [1] I would not mind paying if Martin Richards got any of it. I'd be
> pleased if the people who refereed the paper, or maybe the editor, got
> some of it, but I am not keen to pay the publisher since they have,
> presumably, already recouped their costs since 1979.

Thank you for the info

Pages: 1
Prev: About Thread Pool Engine...
Next: file conversions