From: Thomas Laus on
I did a new installation of FreeBSD 8.1 Release on an Intel Atom D510M0
motherboard. The AMD64 install went normally, but the computer would
not boot from the hard drive. All of the hardware components were new
for this installation (motherboard, memory, dvd, hard disk). This
motherboard only has 2 SATA ports and no IDE. The HD is a Seagate
ST-380815AS. After the first install failure, I booted the LiveFS disk
and did a disk dupe of the first 100 tracks with /dev/zero before the
next attempt. This was the fix for loading FreeBSD over VMS for my
AlphaStations. The hard drive still would not boot after the this load.

Next I tried an installation of OpenBSD AMD64 and the hard drive booted.
I did another installation of FreeBSD 8.1 and this time it worked. I am
wondering if FreeBSD 8.1 is able to make a 'SATA only' motherboard drive
bootable if it had never been used for something else?

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1
From: Warren Block on
Thomas Laus <lausts(a)acm.org> wrote:
> I did a new installation of FreeBSD 8.1 Release on an Intel Atom D510M0
> motherboard. The AMD64 install went normally, but the computer would
> not boot from the hard drive. All of the hardware components were new
> for this installation (motherboard, memory, dvd, hard disk). This
> motherboard only has 2 SATA ports and no IDE. The HD is a Seagate
> ST-380815AS. After the first install failure, I booted the LiveFS disk
> and did a disk dupe of the first 100 tracks with /dev/zero before the
> next attempt. This was the fix for loading FreeBSD over VMS for my
> AlphaStations. The hard drive still would not boot after the this load.
>
> Next I tried an installation of OpenBSD AMD64 and the hard drive booted.
> I did another installation of FreeBSD 8.1 and this time it worked. I am
> wondering if FreeBSD 8.1 is able to make a 'SATA only' motherboard drive
> bootable if it had never been used for something else?

I've had a bug go the other way, installing a boot manager when None was
chosen. Which type of boot manager did you pick during the FreeBSD
install?
From: Thomas Laus on
On 2010-08-13, Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

> I've had a bug go the other way, installing a boot manager when None was
> chosen. Which type of boot manager did you pick during the FreeBSD
> install?

I did not select a boot manager. This installation was on a new
computer that is dedicated to FreeBSD and doesn't need to boot into any
other OS. I guess my selection was #3 in the pick list.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1