From: nntp on

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.

In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you
to participate at
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads forum(s). An
exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP(a)microsoft.com

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 22/06/2010 19:11, Cameron_C wrote:

> Thanks Joe.
> I have only been surfing this newsgroup for two or three years, but it has
> been invaluable at times.
> I have to admit that I am worried/concerned/nervous about the imminent
> demise of the group.

Someone told that it is possible to use alternative news servers (like
eternal-september) instead of the official Microsoft msnews to access
this newsgroup. But it's not clear to me if this newsgroup can be still
accessible once Microsoft drops it after July 1st...

However, I do hope that Joe gets the Community Bridge (or Hector Santos'
Bridge or whatever bridge) and joins the MFC/ATL Forum.

> Has the traffic to this newsgroup truly been steadily declining over the
> years?

You can read Google statistics here:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/about

The number of posts are not those of the late 1990's or early 2000's
(until about 2002-2003). Probably with the introduction of .NET and C#
(Visual Studio .NET 2003 was the first version to support C#), several
developers went to managed code.

And if you consider the month of March:

1999: 6,719 posts
2000: 6,098 posts
2001: 5,696 posts
2005: 2,501 posts
2007: 3,051 posts
2008: 2,077 posts
2009: 939 posts
2010: 1,702 posts

So, there is a decline, but I don't think that it is due to people going
to the Web-based forums :) I may be wrong, but I think it is due to
people using different technologies.

> Are fewer resources moving into the MFC arena?

Don't know.

> Is Microsoft committed to supporting MFC?

I think so. Note that there were improvements in MFC in VS2010 (e.g. new
features in support of Windows 7 specific UI elements, like tabbed
thumbnails, etc.)

> Is it time to consider migrating away from MFC?

If you have large MFC code bases I think it is just fine to continue
developing in C++ and MFC. Why throwing away $$$ of investments in
working stable code?

> Is this a nail in the coffin of MFC?

I don't think so.
There is the Web based forum dedicated to MFC and ATL.

> Do I need to worry?

There are worst things in life, no need to worry IMHO :)

Giovanni
From: Cholo Lennon on
On 22/06/2010 18:37, Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
> On 22/06/2010 19:11, Cameron_C wrote:
>
>> Thanks Joe.
>> I have only been surfing this newsgroup for two or three years, but it
>> has
>> been invaluable at times.
>> I have to admit that I am worried/concerned/nervous about the imminent
>> demise of the group.
>
> Someone told that it is possible to use alternative news servers (like
> eternal-september) instead of the official Microsoft msnews to access
> this newsgroup. But it's not clear to me if this newsgroup can be still
> accessible once Microsoft drops it after July 1st...

All other MS closed groups (well, at least groups I have been using) are
still available through other servers (i.e. this morning I posted one
answer in microsoft.public.vc.language using news.aioe.org)

AFAIK the MS newsgroup hierarchies will be existing, so the only thing
we have to do is to change the server in order to read/post.

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.
From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 23/06/2010 01:18, Cholo Lennon wrote:

> All other MS closed groups (well, at least groups I have been using) are
> still available through other servers (i.e. this morning I posted one
> answer in microsoft.public.vc.language using news.aioe.org)
>
> AFAIK the MS newsgroup hierarchies will be existing, so the only thing
> we have to do is to change the server in order to read/post.

It seems you are right...

m.p.vc.language was told to be closed on June 1st, but it is still
accessible, e.g.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vc.language/topics

Giovanni
From: Tim Slattery on
Giovanni Dicanio <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>Someone told that it is possible to use alternative news servers (like
>eternal-september) instead of the official Microsoft msnews to access
>this newsgroup. But it's not clear to me if this newsgroup can be still
>accessible once Microsoft drops it after July 1st...

YES, it can.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov