From: Bob Henson on
When I set reminder times for all day events like, say, a birthday, I
usually set them in Outlook 2007 to one week before the event. I sync my
Outlook calendar to my Windows Mobile phone - HTC Touch Cruise running
Windows Mobile 6. Is there any way to prevent the reminders from
sounding (on the phone) before the time set in Outlook 2007 (9 am.) for
the beginning of the working day? If I set "one week" as the reminder
period, they go off on the phone early in the morning and wake everyone
in earshot so, as I have quite a few all day events, I have to turn my
phone off each night. There's another minor annoyance involved - when I
turn the phone back on all the reminders for that day go off whilst the
phone is still booting up, and occasionally hang the phone,
necessitating a re-boot, although I doubt anything can be done about
that.

Regards,

Bob

From: Todd Allcock on

"Bob Henson" <news(a)galenx.org.uk> wrote in message
> When I set reminder times for all day events like, say, a birthday, I
> usually set them in Outlook 2007 to one week before the event. I sync my
> Outlook calendar to my Windows Mobile phone - HTC Touch Cruise running
> Windows Mobile 6. Is there any way to prevent the reminders from sounding
> (on the phone) before the time set in Outlook 2007 (9 am.) for the
> beginning of the working day? If I set "one week" as the reminder period,
> they go off on the phone early in the morning and wake everyone in earshot
> so, as I have quite a few all day events, I have to turn my phone off each
> night. There's another minor annoyance involved - when I turn the phone
> back on all the reminders for that day go off whilst the phone is still
> booting up, and occasionally hang the phone, necessitating a re-boot,
> although I doubt anything can be done about that.

You probably won't like my answer, but my solution was to simply stop using
all-day events. I've edited all of my birthdays, anniversaries, etc. to be
work-day timed events- (9AM-6PM or thereabouts.) If you want the alarms to
sound at, say, 11AM, you could set the "all day event" to be a 11AM-whatever
event and have the reminder set to go off a week early.

(My reasons for doing this were actually different than yours- in my case it
was the time-shifting of the events when traveling. If I was on the east
coast instead of home in Denver when an all-day event occured, the phone
shifted the event to a multi-day event starting at 10PM the day before! Now
my 9-6 "all day" event becomes a 7-4 event, but it at least stays on the
right day!)

From: Bob Henson on

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

> > When I set reminder times for all day events like, say, a birthday,
> > I usually set them in Outlook 2007 to one week before the event. I
> > sync my Outlook calendar to my Windows Mobile phone - HTC Touch
> > Cruise running Windows Mobile 6. Is there any way to prevent the
> > reminders from sounding (on the phone) before the time set in
> > Outlook 2007 (9 am.) for the beginning of the working day? If I set
> > "one week" as the reminder period, they go off on the phone early in
> > the morning and wake everyone in earshot so, as I have quite a few
> > all day events, I have to turn my phone off each night.

> You probably won't like my answer, but my solution was to simply stop
> using all-day events. I've edited all of my birthdays, anniversaries,
> etc. to be work-day timed events- (9AM-6PM or thereabouts.) If you
> want the alarms to sound at, say, 11AM, you could set the "all day
> event" to be a 11AM-whatever event and have the reminder set to go off a week early.

I guess that's what I'll have to do. That will work for all my events
anyway, that just leaves my Bank automatically texting me at 5 am. I'll
change all my events, and then start working on the Bank later - I feel
an email campaign coming on!

> (My reasons for doing this were actually different than yours- in my
> case it was the time-shifting of the events when traveling. If I was
> on the east coast instead of home in Denver when an all-day event
> occured, the phone shifted the event to a multi-day event starting at
> 10PM the day before! Now my 9-6 "all day" event becomes a 7-4 event,
> but it at least stays on the right day!)

You'll have to come and live in the UK - the worst this tiny island has
to deal with is slightly different sunrise and sunset times in the
Northern and Southern extremities :-)

Regards,

Bob

From: Sven on
Good luck with that. We have been complaining about 12 Midnight alarms for
all day events, and the day spanning 'feature' for years. Possibly with the
clean sweep of WinPhone 7, these features will finally be retired. Would be
nice if we had the option of shifting appointments, or not, when the carrier
signal changes our time and time zone too, but I can't muster that much
optimism, or risk exposing myself to that disappointment, so I'm assuming
not.

From: Bob Henson on
"Sven" <sejohannsen(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Good luck with that. We have been complaining about 12 Midnight alarms for
> all day events, and the day spanning 'feature' for years. Possibly with the
> clean sweep of WinPhone 7, these features will finally be retired. Would be
> nice if we had the option of shifting appointments, or not, when the carrier
> signal changes our time and time zone too, but I can't muster that much
> optimism, or risk exposing myself to that disappointment, so I'm assuming
> not.

It's a small consolation to know that it was not anything silly that I
was doing, and that everyone is in the same situation. I recognise the
commercial pressures that cause companies to release "new improved"
versions of their programs, but wish that they would fix the problems in
the old ones first. If this particular problem is sorted in the new
version that would be nice, but those of us still stuck with the old one
will be no better off. It's not just Microsoft - I've just given up
Thunderbird after using it for many years for the same reason - it has
unfixed bugs from 5 years back, but had been released with new bells and
whistles that no-one wants, and a handful of regressions and new bugs to
boot.

Regards,

Bob

Pages: 1