From: JJ on
I have around 85 computers in an office that I am able to access via Remote
Desktop Connection. All are working normally. All computers are running
Windows XP Professional connecting to a Windows 2003 Server. Windows
Firewall is disabled on all computers and all computers use the same
corporate firewall. All computers use Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Recently, we purchased 5 new computers from Dell (Optiplex 780 model). Most
of the older computers are Optiplex 760 models and are working fine. After
configuring the new computers with our network settings and software,
everything is working fine except that I am unable to make a Remote Desktop
Connection to these computers. I can get to the login screen of the remote
computer; I enter the appropriate username and password (with remote access
enabled for this username); I click OK; the login screen dims a little like
it is trying to login and after about 30-45 seconds, the desktop of the host
computer reappears. There is no error message. It just won't connect.

Everything looks correct, but still no connection. Just to be absolutely
certain that Symantec was not interfering, I uninstalled it from one
computer and was still unable to make a connection.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

James
From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I have around 85 computers in an office that I am able to access via Remote
> Desktop Connection. All are working normally. All computers are running
> Windows XP Professional connecting to a Windows 2003 Server. Windows
> Firewall is disabled on all computers and all computers use the same
> corporate firewall. All computers use Symantec Endpoint Protection.
>
> Recently, we purchased 5 new computers from Dell (Optiplex 780 model). Most
> of the older computers are Optiplex 760 models and are working fine. After
> configuring the new computers with our network settings and software,
> everything is working fine except that I am unable to make a Remote Desktop
> Connection to these computers. I can get to the login screen of the remote
> computer; I enter the appropriate username and password (with remote access
> enabled for this username); I click OK; the login screen dims a little like
> it is trying to login and after about 30-45 seconds, the desktop of the host
> computer reappears. There is no error message. It just won't connect.
>
> Everything looks correct, but still no connection. Just to be absolutely
> certain that Symantec was not interfering, I uninstalled it from one
> computer and was still unable to make a connection.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> James

Is the terminal service running on the target machine ?

Bernd
From: JJ on
Yes and there are no errors in the log files indicating that there is any
problem.

Bummer.

James
From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Yes and there are no errors in the log files indicating that there is any
> problem.
>
> Bummer.
>
> James

Did you look into BOTH event logs ?

Bernd
From: JJ on
Yes. Neither set of logs show any errors relating to RDC.

Thanks.

James