From: Eric on
For XP with SP3, I have tried sleep mode, but the fan and power for my PC are
still on, I would like to suspend XP, which the fan and power will be off.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to suspend XP without exiting window?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
From: John John - MVP on
You'll have to hibernate the machine.

John

From: Jose on
On Apr 6, 5:08 am, Eric <E...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> For XP with SP3, I have tried sleep mode, but the fan and power for my PC are
> still on, I would like to suspend XP, which the fan and power will be off..
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to suspend XP without exiting window?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

It sounds like it is working as designed.

Hibernate may be what you are looking for and is safer than Stand By.

To Hibernate, first you must enable it from Control Panel, Power
Options, Hibernate tab - put a check in the box to Enable hibernation.

Mine is set to hibernate after 30 minutes. I choose never to use
Stand By because it is inherently riskier for your data and does not
turn off the fans (as you observed). Stand By has a purpose, but you
need to understand the purpose, consequences and risk before using it.

You can manually enter Hibernate. When you click Start, Turn Off
Computer you are presented with the Stand By, Turn Off and Restart
options.

If you press the Shift key, the Stand By button will turn into
Hibernate. You can also add a Hibernate button on that screen if you
want (later), but first you have to make sure the hibernate mechanism
works. You can just click the Hibernate button (or press the h key
for Hibernate) and not have to press the Shift key.

If you cannot enable Hibernation through the power options or the
Stand By button does not turn into Hibernate when you press the shift
key, we need to know more about your system (and also your video
driver information) and then we can fix it:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

From: Eric on
Could you please tell me how to wake XP up? I am using USB wireless keyboard
and mouse, and try click any button on keyboard, which does not work.
I need to push power button to wake XP up.
Do you have any suggestions?

From: John John - MVP on
Eric wrote:
> Could you please tell me how to wake XP up? I am using USB wireless keyboard
> and mouse, and try click any button on keyboard, which does not work.
> I need to push power button to wake XP up.

That is how hibernation works, it saves everything in the RAM to the
hibernator file (hiberfil.sys) then it powers down the computer. To
restart the computer you have to press the power button, then if the
boot loader (ntldr) finds a valid hibernator file it sucks it into
memory and returns the computer back from hibernation. If ntldr doesn't
find a valid hiberfil.sys file it parses the boot.ini file or looks for
the Windows installation and it boots Windows normally.

> Do you have any suggestions?

Not really, the newer Windows versions have hybrid sleep... but that
isn't available for Windows XP.

John