From: Michael on
I'm using a Windows XP machine that is accessing Windows Server 2003 via
RDP. When I launch the Windows RDP, I see mstsc in the Task Manager window
but the Remote Desktop Connection windows does not open and eventually mstsc
closes (disappear from the Task Manager window). When I launch RDP in the
command prompt, I see mstsc in the Task Manager window and the Remote Desktop
Connection window opens. After entering my credential and clicking the
Connect button, the Remote Desktop Connection window disappear but a terminal
session does not start. And, eventually mstsc closes.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
WinXP, WinXP SP1, WinXP SP2, or WinXP SP3?

If the latter...

You cannot connect to a remote computer or start a remote application when
you use Terminal Services Web Access or Remote Web Workspace on a Windows XP
SP3-based computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607

From: Michael on
I have additional information that I just recalled. When I ran Windows
updated, it upgraded Remote Desktop Connection to 6.0.6000 16386.

From: Michael on
It is WinXP SP2.

I installedd Remote Desktop Connection Client 6.1 (952155). The client
application now works.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Note: Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates
from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows
Update website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually
installed.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b