From: ever90321 on
Hello,

I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...

I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
(Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
Sort button.) It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
OS's, too. From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
without performing additional work like rebooting the computer. I
also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid. From using
SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
API call is even exposed for programmers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

From: Bob CP on
On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90321(a)mypacks.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> Sort button.) It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> OS's, too. From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer. I
> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid. From using
> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.
From: ever90321 on
On May 24, 12:58 pm, Bob CP <ctcboa...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90...(a)mypacks.net wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> > come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> > I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> > technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> > right-click ->  Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> > (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> > Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> > OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> > without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
> > also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> > shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
> > SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> > functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> > API call is even exposed for programmers.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Todd
>
> If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.

Or AutoIt? But this would still involve opening some window, I think,
which is less than professional / ideal.
From: boatman312 on
On 05/24/10 2:07 PM, ever90321(a)mypacks.net wrote:
> On May 24, 12:58 pm, Bob CP<ctcboa...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90...(a)mypacks.net wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
>>> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>>
>>> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
>>> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
>>> right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
>>> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
>>> Sort button.) It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
>>> OS's, too. From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
>>> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer. I
>>> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
>>> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid. From using
>>> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
>>> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
>>> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Todd
>>
>> If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.
>

> Or AutoIt? But this would still involve opening some window, I think,
> which is less than professional / ideal.

Autohotkey has the ability to hide a window too. Still, a Mickey Mouse
solution, but if no one comes up with a better solution...
From: Marcello on
As workaround you could kill explorer.exe after having deleted the
registry-key.
(Being killed by script explorer.exe restarts automatically.)

Lg
Marcello