From: Barfy the Wonder Camel on
I want to set up my home network so that I can remote in from my
laptop wherever I happen to be. Simple so far, but the router I have
at home (Linksys) is limited to letting me remote through a configured
port to a specific pc in the LAN. Obviously the internal PC is then
responsible for security. In principle, anyone can connect to my
router from the outside and attack the pc all day. Ideally what I'd
like to do is configure a router/firewall to allow a secured vpn or
ssl connection to my LAN. In other words, I want a router that will
provide some security requirements before it even passes the
connection on. I know next to nothing about this whole subset of
networking, so I'm just trying to get an indication of how to begin,
what's possible, etc. Any info to get me started would be appreciated.
From: Rick on
Barfy the Wonder Camel wrote:
> I want to set up my home network so that I can remote in from my
> laptop wherever I happen to be. Simple so far, but the router I have
> at home (Linksys) is limited to letting me remote through a configured
> port to a specific pc in the LAN. Obviously the internal PC is then
> responsible for security. In principle, anyone can connect to my
> router from the outside and attack the pc all day. Ideally what I'd
> like to do is configure a router/firewall to allow a secured vpn or
> ssl connection to my LAN. In other words, I want a router that will
> provide some security requirements before it even passes the
> connection on. I know next to nothing about this whole subset of
> networking, so I'm just trying to get an indication of how to begin,
> what's possible, etc. Any info to get me started would be appreciated.

Look into Sonicwall firewalls and VPN - works for me.

From: Barfy the Wonder Camel on
On Jun 21, 12:10 pm, Rick <rick0.merr...(a)gmail.com.lessspam> wrote:
> Look into Sonicwall firewalls and VPN - works for me.

Thanks, that's just the poke-with-a-stick that I needed to get
started.

From: Barfy the Wonder Camel on
On Jun 21, 12:13 pm, Barfy the Wonder Camel <googr...(a)yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 12:10 pm, Rick <rick0.merr...(a)gmail.com.lessspam> wrote:
>
> > Look into Sonicwall firewalls and VPN - works for me.
>
> Thanks, that's just the poke-with-a-stick that I needed to get
> started.

Actually, once I got started, I quickly discovered the dlink DIR-330
which (at least on paper) appears to do exactly what I want, for not
much money.