From: David Brown on
mynick wrote:
> On Jan 20, 11:51 pm, David Brown <da...(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com>
> wrote:
>> mynick wrote:
>>> what do you think of nbd protocol?
>>> running nbdsrvr on remote if that does not require special privilleges
>>> on remote
>>> and than using Selfimage which supports nbd (but perhaps not the
>>> nbdsrvr.exe version)
>> I've only used nbd with Linux systems (to give an embedded Linux system
>> a swap disk) - I have no idea about support in windows for nbd. But
>> generally speaking, if you are using nbd to "share" a partition, the
>> partition cannot also be accessed locally.
>
> nbdsrvr for win can be found at http://www.vanheusden.com/
> however nbd readme says
> Do *NOT* share partitions/files that are already in mounted/in use! It
> is
> almost for sure that corruptions will occure???
> -is that what 'cannot' meant
> and would it make difference if there would be only 1 PC accesing the
> remote share ?

When I say "cannot", I really mean "should not" - and the OS should
hopefully enforce that limitation. The rule is that only one writer
should ever have low-level access to a partition (or file used as a
block device - that's the common usage for nbd). You can have multiple
read-only connections at a time, but if you try to allow two different
file system drivers to write to the same partition, you are guaranteed
chaos and corruption.

> Another idea might be using running locally and remotely dd command
> for win- perhaps that could go through smb
> (and after copying dd to mapped share it could be started via telnet
> because above mentioned psexec expects it on remote in c:\windows
> which is not accessible)

The trick is to use "psexec \\remoteserver cmd" to start a remote
command prompt - a poor man's telnet. But if you have a telnet or ssh
server on the remote machine, use that.