From: mynick on
Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
installed/running on that remote computer?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"mynick" <anglomont(a)yahoo.com> said this in news item
> Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> installed/running on that remote computer?

I know of two options to delete a remote file:
a) By deleting it via a shared folder. If so then the delete program runs on
your own machine and not locally on the other PC.
b) By using a tool such as psexec.exe. If so then the delete program runs
locally on the other machine but it requires an agent.

It seems your requirements contradict each other.

From: mscotgrove on
On Jan 18, 2:15 am, mynick <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> installed/running on that remote computer?

To perform a an undelete it is necessary to access the hard drive
directly, and manipulate a bit in the MFT sector.

A mapped drive is a logical drive, that need not actually be NTFS, it
just needs to creates, read, write files etc.

My quick answer is that this is not possible without a client
application being loaded, but I too would be interested if there was a
solution

Michael
From: mynick on
On Jan 18, 8:06 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "mynick" <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> said this in news itemnews:e1814b36-2498-494b-b410-033fe8726fda(a)o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> > installed/running on that remote computer?
>
> I know of two options to delete a remote file:
> a) By deleting it via a shared folder. If so then the delete program runs on
> your own machine and not locally on the other PC.
> b) By using a tool such as psexec.exe. If so then the delete program runs
> locally on the other machine but it requires an agent.
>
> It seems your requirements contradict each other.
Thanks!
Could one not start locally for example Photorec(console app) to run
on remote PC using Psexec, only
it will probably not offer local, only remote disk as a place to store
undeleted files? Undeleting-copying to same remote disk would
risk corrupting the files so would be great to instead of photorec
somehow make use of old norton unerase.exe which does in-place udelete
(but it does not support MFT(NTFS) and would probably require first
locking direct disk access to unerase.exe as for example Active
uneraser for DOS.)
Is there another console unerase application that can do in place
undelete for ntfs?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> On Jan 18, 8:06 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>> "mynick" <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> said this in news
>> itemnews:e1814b36-2498-494b-b410-033fe8726fda(a)o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
>> > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
>> > installed/running on that remote computer?
>>
>> I know of two options to delete a remote file:
>> a) By deleting it via a shared folder. If so then the delete program runs
>> on
>> your own machine and not locally on the other PC.
>> b) By using a tool such as psexec.exe. If so then the delete program runs
>> locally on the other machine but it requires an agent.
>>
>> It seems your requirements contradict each other.
> Thanks!
> Could one not start locally for example Photorec(console app) to run
> on remote PC using Psexec, only
> it will probably not offer local, only remote disk as a place to store
> undeleted files? Undeleting-copying to same remote disk would
> risk corrupting the files so would be great to instead of photorec
> somehow make use of old norton unerase.exe which does in-place udelete
> (but it does not support MFT(NTFS) and would probably require first
> locking direct disk access to unerase.exe as for example Active
> uneraser for DOS.)
> Is there another console unerase application that can do in place
> undelete for ntfs?

Sorry, I missed the "un" (as in "undelete") in your first post. I can't
really say anything about undeleting files, neither locally nor remotely.