From: Grant on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:50:55 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote:

>atec 7 7 wrote:
>> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>>
>> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>>
>> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>>
>> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
>
>I recommend learning command line and use ssh, as I assume those Linux boxes
>will be servers and a good server don't have X installed.

And, for over a decade I use PuTTY and linux command line, it's a
good solution for most needs. That the terminal comms is ssh is
not noticed in use as there's PuTTY's ssh agent running to supply
passphrase -- all I do is decide on user or root login, type in the
passphrase once on starting windoze.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 3, 2009 12:50, in alt.os.linux, J.O. Aho (user(a)example.net)
wrote:

> atec 7 7 wrote:
>> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>>
>> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>>
>> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>>
>> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
>
> I recommend learning command line and use ssh, as I assume those Linux
> boxes will be servers and a good server don't have X installed.

But...

A good server /may/ have X apps installed. The X server /can/ (and should)
reside elsewhere.

--
Lew Pitcher

From: atec 7 7 "atec on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> atec 7 7 wrote:
>> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>>
>> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>>
>> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>>
>> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
>
> I recommend learning command line and use ssh, as I assume those Linux boxes
> will be servers and a good server don't have X installed.

No not servers , being accessed by a person as I said who wont be
learning command line so the use of the existing x is not precluded .
thanks anyway
From: atec 7 7 "atec on
Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:50:55 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote:
>
>> atec 7 7 wrote:
>>> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>>>
>>> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>>>
>>> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>>>
>>> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
>> I recommend learning command line and use ssh, as I assume those Linux boxes
>> will be servers and a good server don't have X installed.
>
> And, for over a decade I use PuTTY and linux command line, it's a
> good solution for most needs. That the terminal comms is ssh is
> not noticed in use as there's PuTTY's ssh agent running to supply
> passphrase -- all I do is decide on user or root login, type in the
> passphrase once on starting windoze.
>
> Grant.
One of the suggestions although not really vnc looks viable and I will
pursue it , trouble is once addicted to a gui many cant or wont learn
past it
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Peice of Linux Os...