From: atec 7 7 "atec on
I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted

linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a

simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at

ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
tia
From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 3, 2009 09:51, in alt.os.linux, atec 7 7 ("atec 77"@hotmail.com)
wrote:

> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )

A suggestion: use X over SSH
http://linuxgazette.net/129/pitcher.html

--
Lew Pitcher

From: Vahis on
On 2009-11-03, atec 7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>
> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>
> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>
> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )
> tia

I'm a great big fan of FreeNX.
Nobody has been able to introduce anything better.
Try it and you won't look back.

I made some notes times back, I think they're still valid.
http://waxborg.servepics.com/english/linux/freenx.en.html

The notes are based on openSUSE but FreeNX is available for all and
clients are available for windows, too.

I often use it locally, then leave the session running and continue
the session later from somewhere else with some computer available.
Right from where I left it.

Works fine also over 3G.

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 7:50am (EET), sunset 4:16pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (8:25 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
From: toll on
with freenx i was able to remedy the centos xwindow freeze issue after yum
update
from winxp desktop, most helpful since i couldnt login with runlevel 3. (fix
was to reinstall
the display driver which had changed parameters after update, logout and
then startx).

From: J.O. Aho on
atec 7 7 wrote:
> I need suggestions for a simple interface that will run on assorted
>
> linux boxes (including debian and puppy) which can be accessed with a
>
> simple interface from a window box by a relative novice who feinted at
>
> ssh and the like ( they have experience with ultra vnc )

I recommend learning command line and use ssh, as I assume those Linux boxes
will be servers and a good server don't have X installed.

--

//Aho
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2