From: Bill Hobson on
I am throwing in the towel on Exchange 2007 until a ServicePack or 2 are
out - it has crashed my Exchange 2003 system too many times. I am trying,
after removing all mailbox databases, to remove the Public Folder database,
which I am forced to remove before removing Exchange 2007. I am running the
moveallreplicas.ps1 script and get this:

[PS] D:\PROGRAM FILES\microsoft\exchange
server\Scripts>moveallreplicas.ps1 -ser
ver:"email2" -newserver:"email"
WARNING: Object Public Folder Store has been corrupted and it is in an
inconsistent state. The following validation errors have been encountered:
WARNING: "PublicFolderStore(EMAIL)" is not valid for Alias. Valid values
are:
Strings formed with characters from a to z (uppercase or lowercase), digits
from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One
or
more periods may be embedded in an alias, but each one of them should be
preceded and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode
characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid in an alias, but they will
be
mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the email address which is generated
from such an alias.
WARNING: Object Public Folder Store has been corrupted and it is in an
inconsistent state. The following validation errors have been encountered:
WARNING: "PublicFolderStore(EMAIL)" is not valid for Alias. Valid values
are:
Strings formed with characters from a to z (uppercase or lowercase), digits
from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One
or
more periods may be embedded in an alias, but each one of them should be
preceded and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode
characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid in an alias, but they will
be
mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the email address which is generated
from such an alias.
<end of output - I didn't copy it twice - this is the real output!>

So what hurculean feat do I need to do to get rid ot the replicas and get
this ()*&()*& server system off my network and out of my AD structure?

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Using Exchange 2003 System Manager, on each top-level folder, change the
replicas to remove the Exchange 2007 server, and then right-click the
folder, select All Tasks, Propagate Settings, and choose to propagate the
replicas. You can also use PFDAVADMIN to do this, or PFMIGRATE, but I don't
think either are any easier for you if you're talking about ending up with a
simple structure.

Don't forget to remove the replicas of any of the Exchange 2003 Schedule+
Free/Busy folders and the Offline Address Book folders.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

From: Bill Hobson on
No can do - I tell the replicas on the Exchange 2007 server via ESM,
right-click the Exchange 2007 Public Folder Store, select "Move All
Replicas" to move back to the Exchange 2003 server and get the following
message:
"Your profile is not configured.
An unexpected, unknown error occurred.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
ID no: 8004011c-0521-00000000

ID no: c1050000
Exchange System Manager"

I really hate working with Exchange 2007 - it appears to me that it was
rushed to market, disregarding all of the things really necessary to make it
work with Exchange 2003, IMHO.

Having given feedback to MS on the Message Tracking tool, I got this
response, which appears to strengthen my opinion:
"Thank you for the feedback Bill. We are sorry you aren't satisfied with
the new GUI (I assume you are talking about the GUI since you are sending
feedback on this alias). Since transport was changed significantly in
Exchange 2007, the message tracking logic had to be completely reworked, and
the bulk of our effort in the admin area went into putting all of our
business logic into Powershell cmdlets. Due to resource and time
constraints, the GUI work was originally cut and then we decided to try to
ease the expected pain somewhat by providing a scripted UI using the same
framework we had developed for our troubleshooter tools. Since its
scripted, it is unfortunately less sophisticated."

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
That isn't the way I told you to do it.

From: Bill Hobson on
Then I don't understand what you are asking me to do. When you say "top
level folder", what do you mean exactly? Top level under First
Administrative Group, Folders, Public Folders on the Exchange 2003 server?
It shows no replication being done - the only server listed under the
Replication tab is the 2003 server itself for each folder directly under
Public Folders.