From: Gorge Lucas on
Hi All,

I have an old exchange server in the domain. This domain has been fine for
about 5 years. The initial domain was done on a Windows 2000 SBS server (not
sure which version of exchange this is).

Anyway, we have Windows 2008 R2 servers and Windows 2003 R2 servers in the
mix now and this server has been removed for quite sometime. However, the
exchange data is still in AD.

The reason I am asking to remove this is because we wish to install Exchange
2010 in to the domain and it's wanting to install a routing group to this
non existing domain server. I don't want to have to install exchange again
to remove it. The server is long gone. How can I remove this from AD so that
Exchange 2010 can install correctly without creating routing groups.

Thanks,
Gorge

From: "Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" email a on
"Gorge Lucas" <nope(a)nope.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an old exchange server in the domain. This domain has been fine for
> about 5 years. The initial domain was done on a Windows 2000 SBS server
> (not sure which version of exchange this is).
>
> Anyway, we have Windows 2008 R2 servers and Windows 2003 R2 servers in the
> mix now and this server has been removed for quite sometime. However, the
> exchange data is still in AD.
>
> The reason I am asking to remove this is because we wish to install
> Exchange 2010 in to the domain and it's wanting to install a routing group
> to this non existing domain server. I don't want to have to install
> exchange again to remove it. The server is long gone. How can I remove
> this from AD so that Exchange 2010 can install correctly without creating
> routing groups.
>
> Thanks,
> Gorge

Near the end here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Lee.

--
______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.leederbyshire.com
lee a.t leederbyshire d.o.t c.o.m
______________________________________

From: Tarun Verma on
Hi, Below is the procedure to remove exchange organization from your domain,
you might have taken the old exchange server offline without removing it
properly.

Exchange 2000 SP2 and later contains a command-line switch, /removeorg, that
removes the Organization container and all sub-containers from Active
Directory. You can run this switch from Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 2
or later by using the following command: update.exe /removeorg. Additionally,
you can run this command from any server in the forest, not just from an
Exchange 2000 server. This command does not remove services, files, or
registry keys.

Tarun Verma

From: Gorge on

"Tarun Verma" <TarunVerma(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Below is the procedure to remove exchange organization from your
> domain,
> you might have taken the old exchange server offline without removing it
> properly.
>
> Exchange 2000 SP2 and later contains a command-line switch, /removeorg,
> that
> removes the Organization container and all sub-containers from Active
> Directory. You can run this switch from Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack
> 2
> or later by using the following command: update.exe /removeorg.
> Additionally,
> you can run this command from any server in the forest, not just from an
> Exchange 2000 server. This command does not remove services, files, or
> registry keys.
>
> Tarun Verma
>

> "Gorge Lucas" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have an old exchange server in the domain. This domain has been fine
>> for
>> about 5 years. The initial domain was done on a Windows 2000 SBS server
>> (not
>> sure which version of exchange this is).
>>
>> Anyway, we have Windows 2008 R2 servers and Windows 2003 R2 servers in
>> the
>> mix now and this server has been removed for quite sometime. However, the
>> exchange data is still in AD.
>>
>> The reason I am asking to remove this is because we wish to install
>> Exchange
>> 2010 in to the domain and it's wanting to install a routing group to this
>> non existing domain server. I don't want to have to install exchange
>> again
>> to remove it. The server is long gone. How can I remove this from AD so
>> that
>> Exchange 2010 can install correctly without creating routing groups.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gorge
>>
>> .

Excellent. Thanks to both of you. Server was removed well before my time.
Only realised it was every once part of the org because I tried installing
Exchange 2010.