From: Will Honea on
I'm still playing with 11.2 and KDE4 and I've run into something I can't
find: Safely Remove for USB devices. It must be there but darned if I can
find it.

Also, is there any way to to get the device icons to pop up on the desktop
ala KDE3 when I plug USB devices in? It was a little obscure on KDE3 but
KDE4 is still a struggle for me.

--
Will Honea

From: Kevin Nathan on
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 23:11:14 -0700
Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm still playing with 11.2 and KDE4 and I've run into something I
>can't find: Safely Remove for USB devices. It must be there but
>darned if I can find it.

I have an icon on the panel that is the USB icon with a blue
background. I didn't put it there, it's just been there since
installation. If you click on that, each plugged in device has a little
up-arrow icon on the right side and clicking it will unmount the
device, as long as nothing is accessing it.

>Also, is there any way to to get the device icons to pop up on the
>desktop ala KDE3 when I plug USB devices in? It was a little obscure
>on KDE3 but KDE4 is still a struggle for me.

This is happening automatically for me. I did no setup for this. I'm
thinking you might have checked the 'Do Nothing' option at some point
and then clicked Ok.

If you don't see the USB icon as a button on your panel, right click on
the panel, select Panel Options and then Add Widgets. In the widget
popup, look for the 'Device Notifier' and add it if not there yet.

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.31.5-0.1-default
03:17am up 14 days 9:02, 19 users, load average: 0.47, 0.16, 0.14

From: Will Honea on
Kevin Nathan wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 23:11:14 -0700
> Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm still playing with 11.2 and KDE4 and I've run into something I
>>can't find: Safely Remove for USB devices. It must be there but
>>darned if I can find it.
>>

> I have an icon on the panel that is the USB icon with a blue
> background. I didn't put it there, it's just been there since
> installation. If you click on that, each plugged in device has a little
> up-arrow icon on the right side and clicking it will unmount the
> device, as long as nothing is accessing it.
>

>>Also, is there any way to to get the device icons to pop up on the
>>desktop ala KDE3 when I plug USB devices in? It was a little obscure
>>on KDE3 but KDE4 is still a struggle for me.
>>

> This is happening automatically for me. I did no setup for this. I'm
> thinking you might have checked the 'Do Nothing' option at some point
> and then clicked Ok.
>

> If you don't see the USB icon as a button on your panel, right click on
> the panel, select Panel Options and then Add Widgets. In the widget
> popup, look for the 'Device Notifier' and add it if not there yet.

OK, I see it now. That's about the least intuitive function I've seen yet!

I still haven't found out how to get a visible popup ON THE DESKTOP showing
the devices which makes it a whole lot more cumbersome to keep up with
what's plugged in where. I'll keep looking, but the KDE4 presentation has
yet to show me any productivity improvement over KDE3 - just the opposite.
It looks like cute for cute's sake so I still can't justify the cost of
rolling it out for the clients I have. Even XFCE is looking good to me by
now.

--
Will Honea

From: Kevin Nathan on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 00:22:31 -0700
Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>OK, I see it now. That's about the least intuitive function I've seen
>yet!

I found it just by clicking to see what it did! :-) I've been doing a
little of that with KDE4 -- I do that normally when first exploring a
new program. Sometimes it causes problems, but then I learn more about
it while I figure out how to fix it -- but that's just me! :-)

As for 'intuitive':

The only intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything after that is
learned...

>I still haven't found out how to get a visible popup ON THE DESKTOP
>showing the devices which makes it a whole lot more cumbersome to keep
>up with what's plugged in where.

It might be a timing issue. I've been testing this a little today and
have found a few things. If you have that USB icon in your panel and
you plug in a device (I've been using a USB stick), just wait. It takes
between 5 and 20 seconds before you get a popup from that icon which
lists all devices (and shows which are mounted). If you click on
*anything* before that popup comes up, it will *not* come up.

With one or more devices plugged in, placing the mouse on the icon will
give you a popup of the most recently plugged-in device (after
detection is complete).

The detection time seems longer than in KDE3, but I cannot be positive
on that. Only a few times did I get a five second response; most times
it was over ten seconds but never more than twenty.

>I'll keep looking, but the KDE4
>presentation has yet to show me any productivity improvement over KDE3
>- just the opposite.

For the way *I* work, it is much more comfortable to me than KDE3 was.
There are still rough edges, but I have yet to upgrade it beyond the
initial install of 11.2 (KDE 4.3.1 "release 6"). From what I have
heard, the latest version of KDE4 is even better.

>It looks like cute for cute's sake so I still
>can't justify the cost of rolling it out for the clients I have. Even
>XFCE is looking good to me by now.

For users (clients) that are used to the KDE3 way of doing things, I
could not justify a jump to KDE4, either, at this time. The next
version might be better for that. But if all they do is use some
programs (email, web, etc.), and normally don't worry about configuring
the desktop, the switch would probably be possible. I know I could
switch almost all of my relatives here without a hiccup -- but the
business users would require a lot of hands-on after the switch...

For *me*, however, KDE4 is nicer than KDE3 -- so far. I'm still going
back to WindowMaker when I am finished exploring KDE... :-)

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.31.5-0.1-default
10:55am up 16 days 16:40, 18 users, load average: 0.34, 0.35, 0.27

From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:52:09 -0700, Kevin Nathan <knathan(a)project54.com>
wrote:

> The only intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything after that is
> learned...

Nope. I feel that even that one is learned. You might like to think it
isn't or even try to illustrate why you feel that way, but it is, in
fact, also a learned response.

The claim that all mammals are hard wired nipple seekers is more likely
some lack of sexual fulfillment or experience that those that claim it
have experienced.

Myself... I believe in telepathic connections when the mind is that
young. After that, information overload drowns out the telepathic cues.