From: alex23 on
Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
> P.S. This is something which confuses me greatly. Considering how
> *great* the spam filters are on Gmail-- I literally get virtually
> nothing in my inbox-- how in world are Google Groups so full of junk?

The cynic in me thinks it has a lot to do with how many of these
Groups spammers are pointing to Blogger sites.
From: Deadly Dirk on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:45 -0700, Stephen Hansen wrote:

> On 6/16/10 10:56 AM, Alan Harris-Reid wrote:
>> Any idea how we get rid of this 'noise'? Will it eventually go away if
>> we ignore it, or is there anything the moderators can do to clean-up
>> this (normally) wonderful resource for Python programmers?
>
> The problem is, this forum has lots of access points. Its not entirely a
> mailing list. Its also a usenet newsgroup (utterly uncontrollable). Its
> got multiple bidirectional mirrors. The python-list version of the group
> is fortunately largely free from spam as its spam filters are pretty
> solid, but other access points vary.
>
> I *think* from looking at his headers, he's posting via Google Groups.
> FWIW, since its a Gmail user, I've reported him for abuse to both the
> Gmail and Google Groups teams. If they decide to do anything, who knows.
> I've also reported all his mails as Spam, so hopefully they'll just get
> junked. Maybe the python-list spam filters can be tweaked, who knows.
>
> He'll probably always show up on the usenet/Google Groups part of things
> though. Cuz Google's notoriously bad at controlling spam on Groups(*)

He's posting from sbcglobal.net, I reported him to abuse(a)sbcglobal.net
for spamming an unrelated group with antisemitic spam.

--
I don't think, therefore I am not.
From: Ian Kelly on
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM, geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Granted, but I don't see that happening if all they're doing is
> filtering spam out of groups. They already do it in your inbox
> for pete's sake- if it is censorship, it doesn't strike any closer
> to home than that, and people love them for it.

In your inbox you can scan through the spam folder to make sure that
everything in it is indeed spam. You can't do that with messages that
are withheld from a group.

And for the record, Google Groups does have a spam filter that can be
enabled in the moderation settings. The possible spam messages get
sent to a moderation queue for a review. I imagine that for a group
this size, the amount of work involved in moderation would be too
great.
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/16/10 6:52 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> And for the record, Google Groups does have a spam filter that can be
> enabled in the moderation settings. The possible spam messages get
> sent to a moderation queue for a review. I imagine that for a group
> this size, the amount of work involved in moderation would be too
> great.

This isn't a Google Group-group, though. There are no moderators, no
administrators. Its a Usenet group (at least as far as Google is
concerned) which Google offers in Google Groups form.

As for Google Groups spam filters for native-groups where its able to be
enabled, on the few groups I've been on, it is a lot less effective then
what they use at Gmail, anecdotally speaking.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Ian Kelly on
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Stephen Hansen
<me+list/python(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
> This isn't a Google Group-group, though. There are no moderators, no
> administrators. Its a Usenet group (at least as far as Google is
> concerned) which Google offers in Google Groups form.

Which goes back to my first point. When they filter out a false
positive, who is going to review the message and mark it as Not Spam,
for the benefit of both the readers and the Bayesian filter?