From: JD on
Paul wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Has anyone heard of this modem?
>>
>> The specs seem very impressive
>>
>> Remstream REM-8200 DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem w/Ethernet, USB & 2 VoIP
>> Phone Jacks
>> - 40 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream speeds.
>>
>> and the cost is about $30.
>>
>> The warranty is 90 days, which appears to be saying something.
>>
>> TIA
>
> Perhaps the availability of those units, is fallout from this ?
>
> http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=180530&site=lr_cable
>
> "Rembrandt has made some limited stabs at developing a modem business
> amid
> charges from the cable MDL that Remstream's sole purpose is to wage an
> "illicit and anti-competitive scheme" to obtain injunctive relief
> against
> the nation's major MSOs."
>
> So they may have been making cable modems, with the idea they'd use their
> patent portfolio, to have other cable modem manufacturer's products barred
> from entering the country. ("Making" in this context, means paying someone
> to contract manufacture them, likely using some standard design and
> silicon.
> They wouldn't be starting from scratch, setting up a factory of their
> own and
> so on.)
>
> There is one comment here, that says the modem works fine, but that the
> VOIP doesn't work.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Remstream-REM-8200-DOCSIS-Internet-Ethernet/product-reviews/B0031PXGR0/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1275947132&sr=8-2
>

> As long as the DOCSIS standard is acceptable for the application, at
> that price it's probably worth playing with. There is a version 3 for
> DOCSIS now. But if the cap on your cable is met by those specs, then
> you probably don't care.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docsis
>
> Paul

Thank you again Paul. As always, you are a huge
help. :-)

I tried to query Geeks for the reason for the 90
day warranty and I sent
them an email about it. No answer.
Then I visited buy.com and found a
D-Link DSL-2302B ADSL 2/2+ Ethernet/USB Modem -
DSL-2320B
with no VOIP for $47 (free shipping). They don't
show the rear connections and likewise
for cables, despite the availability of space on
the page. A few months ago I bought a D-Link
router and it was easy to work with. I know that
Skype has VOIP hardware but I have never looked at
it closely. So I guess it connects to the computer.

Thanks again :-)