From: Derek on
Is is possible to do a repair install of Windows XP with an operating system
disk that is not the same as the originally installed OS? I am trying to
help a friend with a problem and would like to try a repair install, but they
have lost (or can't find) the OS disk that came with the computer. I am
wondering if I could use mine. Thanks in advance for any help anyone could
offer.
From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
No, you cannot use yours. Your friend needs to contact the
manufacturer of his or her computer and request a replacement.
The Product Key (license) affixed to your friends computer will
only work with the computer manufacturer's recovery CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: Rock on
Derek wrote:

> Is is possible to do a repair install of Windows XP with an operating system
> disk that is not the same as the originally installed OS? I am trying to
> help a friend with a problem and would like to try a repair install, but they
> have lost (or can't find) the OS disk that came with the computer. I am
> wondering if I could use mine. Thanks in advance for any help anyone could
> offer.

Yes if it's the same type, just use their CD key. By type I mean Pro
vs. Home, OEM vs. Retail, upgrade vs. full. If it's computer OEM
install like Dell or Gateway you have to use the same OEM disk.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

From: -rwxrw-r-- on
On Tuesday 13 September 2005 03:26 pm, Carey Frisch [MVP] had this to say
in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> No, you cannot use yours. Your friend needs to contact the
> manufacturer of his or her computer and request a replacement.
> The Product Key (license) affixed to your friends computer will
> only work with the computer manufacturer's recovery CD.

And what in the OP's post leads you to think he's even talking about a
"computer manufacturer's recovery CD"? It could be any version of Windoze
he has there. You don't know and he wasn't specific.

--
Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17

From: Asher_N on
-rwxrw-r-- <nostop(a)stopspam.com> wrote in

> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 03:26 pm, Carey Frisch [MVP] had this to
> say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> No, you cannot use yours. Your friend needs to contact the
>> manufacturer of his or her computer and request a replacement.
>> The Product Key (license) affixed to your friends computer will
>> only work with the computer manufacturer's recovery CD.
>>

> And what in the OP's post leads you to think he's even talking about a
> "computer manufacturer's recovery CD"? It could be any version of
> Windoze he has there. You don't know and he wasn't specific.

Because 'recovery CD' implies the set of disk that resets a computer to
it's 'as shipped' condition, including Windows and all other software pre-
installed by the manufacturer. Those CDs only coe from the major
manufactuers and are locked to a particular model and config.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Roxio Disc Copier error
Next: Startup Situation