From: John on
I am repairing two 15" Tannoys of the Gold series. A $5k unit if we
could get them.

Un oscillation in a cassette deck I was using, produced a very lowed
sound that damaged the speakers.

One of them has 6 turns of the voice coil, lose and can be glued back.

On the old days I used to repair speakers using the same type of glue
that was used on the assembling of models. A type of glue that use
acetone as a solvent.
Today we have better types of glue like epoxy and I believe the harder
the glue the better the performance, the disadvantage is that using
epoxy will make a future repair very difficult.

Any suggestions ?

The coil on the second speaker is open and in very bad shape. I am
looking for a replacement.

Tannoy does not carry parts for this type of speaker but there is a
place in England that will sell me a cone assembly for about $300 usd.
From: William Sommerwerck on
I would contact Annoy and ask exactly which adhesive it uses. Don't
substitute on the assumption that your choice would be superior to Annoy's.

From: GregS on
In article <i14p13$usq$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>I would contact Annoy and ask exactly which adhesive it uses. Don't
>substitute on the assumption that your choice would be superior to Annoy's.

To add to my other post, if he wants orginal, then stay orginal.
Also both units should be the identical.

greg
From: root on
Meat Plow <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Seek out a professional reconing shop. You need some specialized tools
> of the trade and some talent to recone. My good friend did it for a
> living until he passed away recently. He would advise the same even if
> you didn't chose his service.

You can buy kits for reconing speakers. It isn't a
hard job. You remove the flex outer rim from the
cone. Then you cut out the bulge covering the voice
coil and put shims (supplied with the kit) in to center
the cone. Then you glue new flex material around
the cone, and wait overnight. Then you remove the
shims and seal up the bulge with glue.

Apart from the overnight wait for glue to dry, it
only took me about half an hour the first time.
With practice I might be able to get it down to
10 minutes.
From: Ron on
On 08/07/2010 20:15, root wrote:
> Meat Plow<mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Seek out a professional reconing shop. You need some specialized tools
>> of the trade and some talent to recone. My good friend did it for a
>> living until he passed away recently. He would advise the same even if
>> you didn't chose his service.
>
> You can buy kits for reconing speakers. It isn't a
> hard job. You remove the flex outer rim from the
> cone. Then you cut out the bulge covering the voice
> coil and put shims (supplied with the kit) in to center
> the cone. Then you glue new flex material around
> the cone, and wait overnight. Then you remove the
> shims and seal up the bulge with glue.
>
> Apart from the overnight wait for glue to dry, it
> only took me about half an hour the first time.
> With practice I might be able to get it down to
> 10 minutes.

And that takes care of the knackered voice coil does it?

Ron(UK)