From: ks2008 on

Hi

Please review the question. This is from
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Managing Projects with Microsoft Office
Project 2007 (Exam 70-632)"
Chapter 2, Lesson 4.

My Question is, why Answer B is not correct.
I could able to replace the assigned resource using Task Information dialog
box's Resources tab.

Question
=========

Due to an unexpected change in scope by your stakeholders, you need to
change the resources applied to the task of finishing the interior of a new
conference room. The two resources currently applied to this task are
Wallpaper Hanger and Carpet Contractor. Your stakeholders have decided that
although they still want to finish the conference room, they want to lay tile
and paint the walls instead. The cost for laying tile is about the same as
laying carpet; the cost for painting the walls is about the same as hanging
wallpaper. You have created two new resources: Tile Contractor and Painter.
What do you do now?

A)In the Assign Resources dialog box for the task of finishing the interior
of the conference room, select the two existing resources (Wallpaper Hanger
and Carpet Contractor) and replace them with the new resources (Tile
Contractor and Painter).

B)In the Task Information dialog box's Resources tab for the task of
finishing the interior of the conference room, select the two existing
resources (Wallpaper Hanger and Carpet Contractor) and replace them with the
new resources (Tile Contractor and Painter).

C)In the Resource Information dialog box's General tab for the two existing
resources (Wallpaper Hanger and Carpet Contractor), click Replace to replace
the old resources with the new resources (Tile Contractor and Painter).

D)From the View Bar, select Assign Resources. In the Assign Resources dialog
box for the task of finishing the interior of the conference room, select the
two existing resources (Wallpaper Hanger and Carpet Contractor) and replace
them with the new resources (Tile Contractor and Painter).

Correct Answer: A
A)Correct: To replace one resource with another, select the task and open
the Assign Resources dialog box.
B)Incorrect: The only place where you can replace one resource with
another is the Assign Resources dialog box. It is not an option in the Task
Information dialog box.
C)Incorrect: The only place where you can replace one resource with
another is the Assign Resources dialog box. It is not an option in the
Resource Information dialog box.
D)Incorrect: Although you do make this change in the Assign Resources
dialog box, there is no option to access it from the View Bar.
From: Trevor Rabey on
The reason that B is not correct is because there is no such "Replace"
button in the Task Information, Resources dialog box.
However, you can still do it there if you delete the existing resources and
assign the new ones.
So what does it matter how it is achieved, because there are various ways,
as long as it is achieved?

C is incorrect for the same reason, no such button.

D is incorrect because there is no such thing as the "View Bar".
The Assign Resources dialog box is accessed via an icon on the Standard
Toolbar.

This question is just a test for how well you have memorised where the
buttons are, and will teach you nothing about project planning.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: Dale Howard [MVP] on
Trevor --

The View bar is the colored bar running along the left side of any view you
apply. The View bar displays the current view. If you right-click on the
View bar, you can select other views as well. Not to be too nit picking
with you, but there really is such a thing as a View bar. :) Hope this
helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

From: Dale Howard [MVP] on
ks2008 --

I cannot imagine a more poorly-written practice exam question. Melanie and
Trevor have correctly told you why A is the correct answer and why B is not
the correct answer. But in my humble opinion, the content of this question
borders on trivia, and makes it a trick question at best.

If you are preparing for the 70-632 exam, please know in advance that all of
the questions in the real exam are very well written and will genuinely test
your knowledge of how to use Microsoft Project 2007 properly. The questions
do not rely on your knowledge of trivia, and none of the question are even
close to being trick questions.

I took this exam several years ago and attained a perfect score of 1,000 on
the exam. Of course, it does help that I write books on this subject and I
teach Microsoft Project 2007 and Project Server 2007 classes regularly! :)
Hope this helps.

From: ks2008 on

Dale, Trevor and Melanie all, Thank you very much.
It is clear now after Dale's last posting.
Thanks
KS