From: RickP on
This is not so much a problem as a question.

We had a w2k TS in a workgroup in application mode. The TS server died so I
replace it with a w2k3 TS as a member of the domain. The license server,
running on a w2k3 DC, is in Domain mode and has 24 unissued 2003 licenses
from a pool of 65. The new TS does resolve the LS in TS Licensing and it
DOES issue licenses when "new" clients connect. What I find odd is that any
client that had previously connected to the old w2k TS does not show up on
the license server but they appear to have received a license as we've passed
the 90 day limit for temps. The old clients do not show up as temporary or
permanent.

Question: Is this normal? We have the licenses available so don't see why
the old clients (XP Pro) do not receive them.

CALS are per device, both servers are per device.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
From: Silvia Doomra [MSFT] on
When you say that the old client still has the licenses - how did you verify
it?

the same question about the temporary and permanent license property.

Regards
Silvia
Remote Desktop Services Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds

From: Divya Bhagavan[MSFT] on
Hi Rick,

Which LS was pointed to by the W2K TS ? If it's the same LS (as on W2K3 DC),
it should show up the old licenses, else it should not. If it's the same
LS, then please run the tool LSReport.exe to verify whether the old licenses
are coming up on the LS report or not. Also, double check which LS has
issued CAL to the “old” clients, please run tsctst tool on the client boxes.
Both these tools can be downloaded from
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=16721 .

Thanks
Divya

From: RickP on
Thanks for the feedback. Using tsctst I found that the old w2k TS was itself
a license server. The clients still had that old license cached. By
deleting the registry key "mslicensing", the clients now pick up a license
from the current LS.

Like I said, it wasn't really a problem but at least I now know why.

Thanks again, Rick