From: jameshanley39 on
I'm keepoping the same lieele case it came in. IT looks like this
http://www.directron.com/asust2p.html

Is it a micro atx motherboard?

'cos then the replacement would have to be micro atx.

And, I already have windows installed on a HDD that was plugged into a
now broken P4P8T motherboard. So, Windows is installed for that kind of
motherboard

So, I'd rather not have to reinstall windows. Thus, I gues i'd need a
motherboard with the same chipset.

The motherboard is unusual, it's very small, and the Socket is labelled
PG478B. I have the processor and HSF for it. IT's only the motherbaord
tha needs replacing.

Any recommendations of an equivalent motherboard?

I'm not familiar with asus's product range, and unfortunately, due to a
problem with my router, am using dial up, and it takes so long for
pages to load on asus's website. So, if anybody knows off hand, that'd
be great,

It's starting to look like this motherboard may be so unusual that a
search on the average retailer may not turn up much. In that event, if
it's relevant -regarding retailers, i'm in the uk

thanks.

From: Paul on
In article <1129109650.693825.31630(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jameshanley39(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> I'm keepoping the same lieele case it came in. IT looks like this
> http://www.directron.com/asust2p.html
>
> Is it a micro atx motherboard?
>
> 'cos then the replacement would have to be micro atx.
>
> And, I already have windows installed on a HDD that was plugged into a
> now broken P4P8T motherboard. So, Windows is installed for that kind of
> motherboard
>
> So, I'd rather not have to reinstall windows. Thus, I gues i'd need a
> motherboard with the same chipset.
>
> The motherboard is unusual, it's very small, and the Socket is labelled
> PG478B. I have the processor and HSF for it. IT's only the motherbaord
> tha needs replacing.
>

> Any recommendations of an equivalent motherboard?
>
> I'm not familiar with asus's product range, and unfortunately, due to a
> problem with my router, am using dial up, and it takes so long for
> pages to load on asus's website. So, if anybody knows off hand, that'd
> be great,
>
> It's starting to look like this motherboard may be so unusual that a
> search on the average retailer may not turn up much. In that event, if
> it's relevant -regarding retailers, i'm in the uk
>
> thanks.

The P4P8T is 9.8"x7.9". MicroATX, AFAIK, is 9.8"x9.8"

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images/barebones-2k4-jun/t2-p/t2p-mobo.jpg

And the dimensions and holes don't line up here:
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CFlexATXaddn1_0.pdf

Maybe someone else will be able to "guess the form factor" :-)

If a new T2-P from Directron is $139, why not just buy it from
them ? Or, to save on shipping, pay them the $139, and have them
just ship the motherboard to you :-) I really don't think you
are going to save a lot of cash by looking for a replacement
footprint board. It will be at least $100.

Paul
From: jameshanley39 on
Paul wrote:
> In article <1129109650.693825.31630(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> jameshanley39(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I'm keepoping the same lieele case it came in. IT looks like this
> > http://www.directron.com/asust2p.html
> >
> > Is it a micro atx motherboard?
> >
> > 'cos then the replacement would have to be micro atx.
> >
> > And, I already have windows installed on a HDD that was plugged into a
> > now broken P4P8T motherboard. So, Windows is installed for that kind of
> > motherboard
> >
> > So, I'd rather not have to reinstall windows. Thus, I gues i'd need a
> > motherboard with the same chipset.
> >
> > The motherboard is unusual, it's very small, and the Socket is labelled
> > PG478B. I have the processor and HSF for it. IT's only the motherbaord
> > tha needs replacing.
> >

> > Any recommendations of an equivalent motherboard?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with asus's product range, and unfortunately, due to a
> > problem with my router, am using dial up, and it takes so long for
> > pages to load on asus's website. So, if anybody knows off hand, that'd
> > be great,
> >
> > It's starting to look like this motherboard may be so unusual that a
> > search on the average retailer may not turn up much. In that event, if
> > it's relevant -regarding retailers, i'm in the uk
> >
> > thanks.
>
> The P4P8T is 9.8"x7.9". MicroATX, AFAIK, is 9.8"x9.8"
>
> http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images/barebones-2k4-jun/t2-p/t2p-mobo.jpg
>
> And the dimensions and holes don't line up here:
> http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CFlexATXaddn1_0.pdf
>
> Maybe someone else will be able to "guess the form factor" :-)
>
> If a new T2-P from Directron is $139, why not just buy it from
> them ? Or, to save on shipping, pay them the $139, and have them
> just ship the motherboard to you :-) I really don't think you
> are going to save a lot of cash by looking for a replacement
> footprint board. It will be at least $100.
>
> Paul

wow, thanks for doing all that research..

I will go with your idea of just buying a new barebones machine. Thing
is though. I can't see the exact model of this computer.
The motherboard is P4P8T, so that directron link should be fine.
Im guessing the form factor is proprietary, as that directron site says

P4P8T (proprietary)

But the Socket of the motherboard says PGA478B
I have heard that B stands for brookdale chipset.

Though Directron says that the chipset of that motherboard is Intel
865G / ICH 5 Chipsets. And 865G is Springdale chipset. A brookdale
chipset would be 845 So, maybe B doesn't stand for Brookdale. I don't
know what that B means

It's a 35mm x 35mm socket. I have a CPU from the old broken
motherboard, It looks like a northwood core (it says 3 GHz/512/800 on
it). I'm hoping it'll work in a new barebones system I buy. I'd
actually get it from here. UK firm
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5721&GroupID=85

It syas it supports Intel Socket 478 Northwood/Prescott Up to P4 3.4+
GHz

I know, it's the same mtoherboard so shoudln't go wrong. But i'm not so
comfortable with the fact that the socket says 478B. And yet the
chipset is not brookdale.

From: Paul on
In article <1129255298.410661.318920(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> [...]

> I have heard that B stands for brookdale chipset.
>
> Though Directron says that the chipset of that motherboard is Intel
> 865G / ICH 5 Chipsets. And 865G is Springdale chipset. A brookdale
> chipset would be 845 So, maybe B doesn't stand for Brookdale. I don't
> know what that B means
>
> It's a 35mm x 35mm socket. I have a CPU from the old broken
> motherboard, It looks like a northwood core (it says 3 GHz/512/800 on
> it). I'm hoping it'll work in a new barebones system I buy. I'd
> actually get it from here. UK firm
> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5721&GroupID=85
>
> It syas it supports Intel Socket 478 Northwood/Prescott Up to P4 3.4+
> GHz
>

> I know, it's the same mtoherboard so shoudln't go wrong. But i'm not so
> comfortable with the fact that the socket says 478B. And yet the

Yea, but I managed to get the dimension wrong there. It is 9.6"
rather than 9.8". MicroATX is 9.6"x9.6". Oops :-)

The Microdirect page says "Intel Socket 478 Northwood/Prescott
Up to P4 3.4+ GHz" in the specification section.

To put your mind at ease about the socket, the adverts are going by
what they see printed on the socket itself. The S478 socket comes
in three variations. See page 9 here. The 478B socket has the holes
for pins A1 and B1 blocked, to form a key that prevents the wrong
type of processor from being inserted:

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/249890.htm

Now, look at page 37 of this Prescott datasheet. Notice
that pins A1 and B1 are missing, so this processor is
a perfect fit for the 478B desktop socket.

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/300561.htm

This Northwood datasheet mentions socket type 478B as well.

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/298643.htm

I don't think there is any value to vendors listing "478B"
as the socket, really. Desktop products should all use
the same thing. Intel used letters to distinguish between
the processors themselves, such as P4E for Prescott for
example, P4C for Northwood FSB800, but these vendors are
referring to the legend printed on the motherboard socket,
and these all seem to be 478B.

I don't blame you for being suspicious though. A lot of
online retailers provide useless information. For example,
a company I've bought quite a bit of stuff from in Canada,
never has any pictures of the items I'm buying, so it is
hard to be sure except to trust a text description. The
Newegg.com site has the right idea, offering pictures for
virtually everything they sell.

Buying another barebones has some hidden benefits. The
other spare items of interest to you, will be the spare
power supply you are getting, plus whatever custom cooling
components the barebones uses. If the power supply blows,
you could waste a lot of time trying to find an exact
substitute, so having a spare should make up for the
extra cost of buying the whole thing.

As near as I can tell, the standard and the deluxe use
the same P4P8T motherboard, so either of those products
should have interchangable motherboards.

Paul
From: jameshanley39 on

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> online retailers provide useless information. For example,
> a company I've bought quite a bit of stuff from in Canada,
> never has any pictures of the items I'm buying, so it is
> hard to be sure except to trust a text description. The
> Newegg.com site has the right idea, offering pictures for
> virtually everything they sell.
>
> Buying another barebones has some hidden benefits. The
> other spare items of interest to you, will be the spare
> power supply you are getting, plus whatever custom cooling
> components the barebones uses. If the power supply blows,
> you could waste a lot of time trying to find an exact
> substitute, so having a spare should make up for the
> extra cost of buying the whole thing.
>
> As near as I can tell, the standard and the deluxe use
> the same P4P8T motherboard, so either of those products
> should have interchangable motherboards.

thanks. Another great post, glad it's archived. Also contains some
good tips on how I or anybody should research this sort of thing!