From: John Hasler on
Use Privoxy. It will also block pretty much all advertising.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Grant on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:46:00 GMT, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

>Responding to Pascal Hambourg:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Mike Jones a écrit :
>>>
>>> With iptables I could block *.spyonyou.* to cover all spyonyou
>>> addresses,
>>
>> How would you do that ?
>

>I forget now, but I played around with using iptables as a URL filter a
>while back. The problem was the overhead.

You really don't want to do name lookups from iptables, wrecks
performance :)

> The longer the list, the slower
>the network. The /etc/hosts method has no visible overhead, but is clumsy
>when you build up a decent "collection" of banned addresses.

AFAIK the /etc/hosts method is popular on windows as there's little
alternative over there? But it's clumsy, clunky.

I use primarily windows for desktop, the dnsmasq nameserver based
solution that I use (posted upthread) now is better than privoxy.

I did use privoxy for a while some years ago, I think my current
solution is better than privoxy.

Adding an entry to local deny_domains file is just as much work as
adding one to privoxy.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: John Hasler on
Grant writes:
> I did use privoxy for a while some years ago, I think my current
> solution is better than privoxy.

Perhaps you should take another look. Privoxy does far more than just
block specified sites. The Debian Privoxy package does everything I
need out of the box. I haven't had to tweak the default configuration
in years.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: John Hasler on
J G Miller writes:
> What are the advantages of Privoxy over SquidGuard?

I don't know. I've never tried SquidGuard: Privoxy does exactly what I
need (which to never see any advertising).
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Moe Trin on
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<pan.2010.02.02.23.53.19(a)Arizona.Bay>, Mike Jones wrote:

>Responding to Cat22:

>> Mike Jones wrote:

>>> ie: Adding "spyonyou" redirects /all/ addresses with that in the
>>> address string to 127.0.0.1 for a fast miss'n'drop.

>> for firefox install adblock plus -works great! Cat22

>Not for any other web application it doesn't.

s/web//

>The whole point of the /etc/hosts solution is that the whole system
>is protected from spyco link-traps, not just a single application.

Doesn't do anything for hard-coded addresses. Used to be someone in
'alt.privacy.spyware' who published lists of several hundred IP ranges.
For ``web'' applications, a proxy server is usually less of a hassle,
but then you have id10t5 who have their mail tool set to open any URL
found in mail, and I've seen spammers using obfuscation to hide not
only host/domain names, but IP addresses as well.

Old guy