From: J.O. Aho on
Mike Jones wrote:

> My /etc/hosts file is becoming rather large, and as the list of addresses
> I find I'm adding to it grows daily, I'm now looking for an alternative
> way to sidetrack DNS away from a list of possible connections.

Use privoxy as John already suggested or any other application that helps you
to block advertisements.
I do discourage people from using the hosts file as you do, it may look as a
good solution that works, but you will cause troubles and unneeded loc traffic.

--

//Aho
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to J.O. Aho:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>>
>> My /etc/hosts file is becoming rather large, and as the list of
>> addresses I find I'm adding to it grows daily, I'm now looking for an
>> alternative way to sidetrack DNS away from a list of possible
>> connections.
>
> Use privoxy as John already suggested or any other application that
> helps you to block advertisements.
> I do discourage people from using the hosts file as you do, it may look
> as a good solution that works, but you will cause troubles and unneeded
> loc traffic.

It did seem a simple solution to start with, but its becoming flooded.

Blocking ads isn't the primary requirement. Preventing connections to
spyco outfits is.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.