From: Query Builder on
I have 2 instance of SQL Servers.

Instance A : SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition running on Windows
2003 (32 Bit).
Instance B : SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition running on Windows
2008 (64 Bit Cluster).
These servers both reside on different domains but have connectivity
between them using SQL Authentication.

I need to setup Transactional Replication from Server A to Server B.

I have reviewed the following MS KB: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143241.aspx

It States : "Using a SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 Distributor
with a Publisher Running SQL Server 2000
SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 can be used as a remote
Distributor for Publishers that are running SQL Server 2000. To change
agent properties in this scenario, execute the following stored
procedures at the Distributor. These procedures let you change
properties that were introduced in SQL Server 2005:"

I have tried executing the procedures but still am not able to make a
connection to the Publisher from The Subscriber.

Has anyone successfully implemented a SQL 2000 to SQL 2008
Transactional Replication? If so, can you please advise the steps you
had performed in order to set it up?

Thanks In advance..

Aravin Rajendra.
From: Aravin on
Thanks..

So, I did a test from a SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 and I am able to
replicate. I guess my issue is that they both reside in 2 separate
Domains (which should not be a problem as I can clearly ping the SQL
IP) but to make it worse, the 2008 is a named instance. !!

So, the only way for me to get thru to the SQL Instance is via IP and
when I go to configure the replication subscriber, I have no way to
specify the Server instance.

In Case anyone is going thru what I went thru, This is how I managed
to add a SQL 2008 Subscriber to a SQL 2000 Publisher:
I tried to create a connection to the SQL 2008 Instance from the SQL
2000 EM. I went and gave the SQL Name, Userid, PWD on the connection
manager and it will try to connect and fail saying the SQL server does
not exists or access denied. Just simply say accept the connection
strings. It will appear on your EM but will say Disconnected. (The key
is to make sure you can ping the server and the UserID/PWD should be
correct).

Then on your publisher, add a push subscriber and pick this as your
subscriber. Simply add a push subscriber and re-int... It works...

Thanks again

Aravin Rajendra.