From: Vincent on
On Aug 5, 8:36 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...(a)msn.com>
wrote:
> Build a form and set it as popup.
>
> docmd.OpenForm "nice little form with please wait message"
> doevents
> docmd.OpenReport "myReport",acViewPreview
> docmd.Close acform "nice little form with please wait message"
>
> Albert K.

The prize goes to Albert K.

Thanks--this works great!

Vincent
From: David W. Fenton on
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in

> Build a form and set it as popup.
>
> docmd.OpenForm "nice little form with please wait message"
> doevents
> docmd.OpenReport "myReport",acViewPreview
> docmd.Close acform "nice little form with please wait message"

How does this interact with "show windows in TaskBar"?

Also, while a popup stays on top, it doesn't pause code.

Last of all, since DoCmd.OpenReport runs asynchronously, the dialog
will close just as soon as the report starts opening, not after the
preview finishes painting the screen.

I'm not sure it's entirely possible to address this. Perhaps the
report's Activate event would do the trick, but I don't know when it
happens when there's a PopUp form open, nor if it happens as soon as
the preview begins or only when the preview is finished.

If that doesn't work, maybe the OnPrint event of the report's page
footer, but I don't know for certain that this fires in print
preview (I'm pretty sure it does). You can't use the report's footer
(if there is one), because it doesn't fire until the preview
displays it.

I think I would likely go back and examine what problem I'm trying
to solve here. Why does the original poster think the users needs a
PLEASE WAIT notification at all? The hourglass mouse pointer occurs
-- isn't that sufficient?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:

> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in
>

>>Build a form and set it as popup.
>>
>>docmd.OpenForm "nice little form with please wait message"
>>doevents
>>docmd.OpenReport "myReport",acViewPreview
>>docmd.Close acform "nice little form with please wait message"
>

> How does this interact with "show windows in TaskBar"?
>
> Also, while a popup stays on top, it doesn't pause code.
>
> Last of all, since DoCmd.OpenReport runs asynchronously, the dialog
> will close just as soon as the report starts opening, not after the
> preview finishes painting the screen.
>
> I'm not sure it's entirely possible to address this. Perhaps the
> report's Activate event would do the trick, but I don't know when it
> happens when there's a PopUp form open, nor if it happens as soon as
> the preview begins or only when the preview is finished.
>
> If that doesn't work, maybe the OnPrint event of the report's page
> footer, but I don't know for certain that this fires in print
> preview (I'm pretty sure it does). You can't use the report's footer
> (if there is one), because it doesn't fire until the preview
> displays it.
>
> I think I would likely go back and examine what problem I'm trying
> to solve here. Why does the original poster think the users needs a
> PLEASE WAIT notification at all? The hourglass mouse pointer occurs
> -- isn't that sufficient?

From Alberts' reply and from the OP's response it appears the OP wanted
a message to display while the report ran. Similar to a "wait window"
in FoxPro. For most of us reports appear almost instantly. I'm going
to assume the report the OP was discussing is sluggish and needs an
substantial amount of time to process.
From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> From Alberts' reply and from the OP's response it appears the OP
> wanted
> a message to display while the report ran. Similar to a "wait
> window" in FoxPro. For most of us reports appear almost
> instantly. I'm going to assume the report the OP was discussing
> is sluggish and needs an substantial amount of time to process.

And? I have plenty of reports like that. I was just troubleshooting
one last week that takes about 2 minutes for the first page to come
up and 15 minutes to preview the last page. The hourglass is fine,
seems to me, so I'm not sure what is gained with a PLEASE WAIT
notification -- that's precisely what the hourglass means across all
Windows apps, i.e., "I'm busy now, but working on it."

From: Phil on
On 07/08/2010 22:12:43, "David W. Fenton" wrote:
> Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in
>
>> From Alberts' reply and from the OP's response it appears the OP
>> wanted
>> a message to display while the report ran. Similar to a "wait
>> window" in FoxPro. For most of us reports appear almost
>> instantly. I'm going to assume the report the OP was discussing
>> is sluggish and needs an substantial amount of time to process.
>
> And? I have plenty of reports like that. I was just troubleshooting
> one last week that takes about 2 minutes for the first page to come
> up and 15 minutes to preview the last page. The hourglass is fine,
> seems to me, so I'm not sure what is gained with a PLEASE WAIT
> notification -- that's precisely what the hourglass means across all
> Windows apps, i.e., "I'm busy now, but working on it."

I also have slow reports with a lot of VBA running behind the queries. The
user wants to be sure something is happenining and the application has not
crashed or gone ito an endless loop. Hourglass will certainly not show a
problem with and ensless loop, but what about a crash? Is there a better way
of showing the program is running than SysCmd(acSysCmdSetStatus and say
someone's name?

Phil