From: Richard Cornford on
Scott Sauyet wrote:
<snip>
> ... . Is the following in fact actually JS?
>
>| var sname = String( Request( "sname" ) )
<snip>

Very likely. The - var - in that context looks a lot like JScript, and I
don't think VBScript has a way of making that meaningful (though I don't
know VBScript any where near well enough to be certain that it is
impossible).

Richard.

From: Scott Sauyet on
On Mar 19, 8:04 am, "Richard Cornford" <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>
> <snip>> ... .  Is the following in fact actually JS?
>
> >| var sname = String( Request( "sname" ) )
>
> <snip>
>
> Very likely. The - var - in that context looks a lot like JScript, and I
> don't think VBScript has a way of making that meaningful (though I don't
> know VBScript any where near well enough to be certain that it is
> impossible).

You're right. As usual. :-)

I was misremembering my bad old days with VBScript. It's not "var" in
VBScript, but "Dim".

I apologize to the OP. I have no idea how to help with your problem
though. Sorry,

-- Scott
From: Evertjan. on
Scott Sauyet wrote on 19 mrt 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> ASP is not a language, just a platform.
>> Javascript can use that platform just as well as vbscript.
>
> It's been years since I touched ASP. I'd forgotten that you could
> even use JS inside it.
>
> Still, the code supplied looks like VBScript to me. I suppose it's
> not necessarily possible to tell, but all those initial capital
> letters make me suspicious. Is the following in fact actually JS?

The ASP like Request and Response seem to be case insenitive in
ASP javascript. So both

var a = Request.form('myInput');

and

var a = request.form('myInput');

are valid, but not

var a = request.form('myInput').Replace(/=+/g,'--');

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Rob Christiansen on
I'm a bit confused. Yes, my code is ASP, written in javascript, as
opposed to VBscript or pearl or whatever. Am I dealing with the wrong
newsgroup? I clicked on you guys cause I thought it said you specialized
in 'javascript.'
..
But whatever, I really need your help. I change the contents of my
variable (somevariable) with an <input type=text> statement and click
submit. My change is up there in the ulr window (what's that called?)
but I can't access it. The book tells me just var somevariable =
Request("variable"); - and then somevariable will hold the data thyat
was stored in variable. SO SIMPLE, they say7 But all I get is undefined.

crazyswede

From: David Mark on
Rob Christiansen wrote:
> I'm a bit confused. Yes, my code is ASP, written in javascript, as
> opposed to VBscript or pearl or whatever.

Technically it is written in JScript, which is an implementation of
ECMAScript. The term "javascript" (or "Javascript") is an umbrella term
for all such implementations. And it is PERL (the "and" is not included
in the acronym).

> Am I dealing with the wrong
> newsgroup?

No.

> I clicked on you guys cause I thought it said you specialized
> in 'javascript.'

This is the standard international newsgroup for discussing ECMAScript
implementations. I wouldn't describe it as a group of "guys"
(specialized or not).

> .
> But whatever, I really need your help.

I'm escalating your issue. Someone from Level 2 support will be with
you shortly...

> I change the contents of my
> variable (somevariable) with an <input type=text> statement and click
> submit.

But seriously; yes, you are confused.

> My change is up there in the ulr window (what's that called?)

The address bar?

> but I can't access it.

Just focus the textbox. :)

> The book tells me just var somevariable =
> Request("variable"); - and then somevariable will hold the data thyat
> was stored in variable.

What book? And it is Request.QueryString for a GET (and Request.Form
for a POST) request.

> SO SIMPLE, they say7 But all I get is undefined.

Who shouts that? And perhaps you should stop reading books written by
simpletons. ;)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: My Library Examples!