From: blackhead on
On 8 Aug, 22:22, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What anti-virus application or security suite was installed BEFORE you did
> the repair install and was your subscription  still current?

I have never had an anti-virus application installed because I don't
visit dodgey sites, not open iffy emails.

I did install Zone alarm, though.

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is your
> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

Zone alarm and Avast anti-virus

> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

No

>    How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
> Internet Explorer is installed
>    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>
> Was IE8 or IE7 installed when you did the Repair Install?

IE8 was installed before I had the problems. The first repair that
worked installed IE6.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

blackhead wrote:
> I did install Zone alarm, though.

First - you aren't protected just because you "don't visit dodgey sites"
and/or "don't open iffy emails". Drive by virus/trojan/spyware/adware
attacks are too common and happen on the most trusted sites - you'd be
surprised.

Second - uninstall Zone Alarm and use the built in firewall - doubtful you
are getting any benefit from Zone Alarm and it just adds a variable (even a
likely cause) many times.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
=> First reason to format & do a clean install:

> I have never had an anti-virus application installed because I don't
> visit dodgey sites, not open iffy emails.

Then how did you get infected with "Internet.exe virus?" Bet you do P2P
file-sharing & exchange stuff with friends via flash drives, yeah? And your
computer's connected to the internet, yeah?

=> Second reason to format & do a clean install:

A Repair Install will NOT resolve any sort of infection. See...

Cleaning a Compromised System

=> Third reason to format & do a clean install:

> IE8 was installed before I had the problems. The first repair that
> worked installed IE6.

See KB917964. Assuming you did NOT uninstall IE8 (or IE7) prior to doing
the Repair Install, Windows (and IE) is now in a "confused state." Your
ONLY recourse now is to back-up any personal data (none of which should be
considered 100% trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean
install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place
upgrade) will NOT fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before connecting a flash drive, SDCard, or any other external drive to the
computer:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually before connecting any external drive to the computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Risks & Benefits of P2P file sharing