From: Raj J kamal Raj J on
I am using Windows XP professional SP2, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Disk, MSI
Motherboard. When I start my PC its restarting and some times its asking to
check for the newly installed Hardware or Software and their drivers on blue
screen.
CONFIG/ SYSTEM file missing and asking to insert XP CD and press "r" to
repair in the first screen.
If I try to format the disk it is asking to contact manufacturer for help
and its shutting down.

From: Jerry on
Time to replace the hard drive.

From: smlunatick on
On Jun 9, 8:13 pm, Raj J kamal <Raj J ka...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am using Windows XP professional SP2, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Disk, MSI
> Motherboard. When I start my PC its restarting and some times its asking to
> check for the newly installed Hardware or Software and their drivers on blue
> screen.
> CONFIG/ SYSTEM file missing and asking to insert XP CD and press "r" to
> repair in the first screen.
> If I try to format the disk it is asking to contact manufacturer for help
> and its shutting down.

With the limited amount of details specified, it is very difficult to
guide you further.

It should be noted that whenever a hard drive is beginning to fail, a
PC will be presenting those exact symptoms.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Raj J kamal wrote:
> I am using Windows XP professional SP2, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Disk,
> MSI Motherboard. When I start my PC its restarting and some times
> its asking to check for the newly installed Hardware or Software
> and their drivers on blue screen.
> CONFIG/ SYSTEM file missing and asking to insert XP CD and press
> "r" to repair in the first screen.
> If I try to format the disk it is asking to contact manufacturer
> for help and its shutting down.

Given what you have - doesn't matter what operating system you are
utilizing - as this is purely a hardware issue.

Although - curiously I ask, "How are you trying to format the disk? Please
be very specific."

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP