From: James Silverton on
Hello All!

My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of the hardware
that I have will function quite well on one of the two USB 1.0 ports but
really, I think I need about 6 USB ports. There seem to be two
possibilities: install two more USB 2.0 cards or use a plug-in multiport
attachment. That last requires installation of a driver. I wonder what
would be the best way to go?

I'd be grateful for advice.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

From: Paul on
James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of the hardware
> that I have will function quite well on one of the two USB 1.0 ports but
> really, I think I need about 6 USB ports. There seem to be two
> possibilities: install two more USB 2.0 cards or use a plug-in multiport
> attachment. That last requires installation of a driver. I wonder what
> would be the best way to go?
>
> I'd be grateful for advice.

$12 will get you a PCI card with four connectors on the faceplate.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-166-002-S03?$S640W$

The fifth connector allows routing a USB cable inside the PC,
such as to a tray mount expansion interface. This particular
USB bay happens to have a regular USB connector on the end of the
cable, which would plug into the card in the first link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150025

Using those two products, you can have ports on the front and
the back of the computer. Four on the faceplate on the back
of the computer and four in a 5.25" tray for the front of
the computer.

No driver would be required for that. There is a USB2 driver
in WinXP, SP1 or greater, which should install automatically.

The 5.25" tray mounted USB interface, needs power, and a
"Y" cable allows getting power from a disk drive
power cable. So all necessary cabling is included.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-150-025-S03?$S640W$

Paul
From: Big_Al on
James Silverton said this on 6/9/2010 1:16 PM:
> Hello All!
>
> My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of the hardware
> that I have will function quite well on one of the two USB 1.0 ports but
> really, I think I need about 6 USB ports. There seem to be two
> possibilities: install two more USB 2.0 cards or use a plug-in multiport
> attachment. That last requires installation of a driver. I wonder what
> would be the best way to go?
>
> I'd be grateful for advice.

A USB Hub does not require drivers? Or at least I've never had any.
From: James Silverton on
Paul wrote on Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:10:15 -0400:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of
>> the hardware that I have will function quite well on one of
>> the two USB 1.0 ports but really, I think I need about 6 USB ports.
>> There seem to be two possibilities: install two more USB 2.0 cards or
>> use a plug-in multiport attachment. That last requires
>> installation of a driver. I wonder what would be the best way
>> to go?
>>
>> I'd be grateful for advice.
>>
> $12 will get you a PCI card with four connectors on the
> faceplate.

> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-166-002-S03?$S640W$

> The fifth connector allows routing a USB cable inside the PC,
> such as to a tray mount expansion interface. This particular
> USB bay happens to have a regular USB connector on the end of the
> cable, which would plug into the card in the first link.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150025

> Using those two products, you can have ports on the front and
> the back of the computer. Four on the faceplate on the back
> of the computer and four in a 5.25" tray for the front of
> the computer.

> No driver would be required for that. There is a USB2 driver
> in WinXP, SP1 or greater, which should install automatically.

> The 5.25" tray mounted USB interface, needs power, and a
> "Y" cable allows getting power from a disk drive
> power cable. So all necessary cabling is included.

> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-150-025-S03?$S640W$

Thanks, that seemed good advice and I have bought a Vantec card similar
to the one you describe. It cost me $15 at Micro Center but that's not a
lot more.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

From: James Silverton on
Big_Al wrote on Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:14:54 -0400:

> James Silverton said this on 6/9/2010 1:16 PM:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of
>> the hardware that I have will function quite well on one of
>> the two USB 1.0 ports but really, I think I need about 6 USB ports.
>> There seem to be two possibilities: install two more
>> USB 2.0 cards or use a plug-in multiport attachment. That
>> last requires installation of a driver. I wonder what would
>> be the best way to go?
>>
>> I'd be grateful for advice.
>>
>A USB Hub does not require drivers? Or at least I've never had any.

I've been asked for drivers that I did not have when using a borrowed
plug-in multiport adapter.

With the Vantec card, I got the messages "New Hardware Detected",
"Searching for Drivers". Apparently the system found the necessary
drivers as the instruction book said it would and I have new USB ports
and got the message that the new hardware was ready for use. My computer
tells me that I now have 5 new "VIA Rev. 5 or later USB Universal Host
Controllers" so that's as expected.

Let's hope it keeps working well.
--

James Silverton