From: smlunatick on
On Jun 9, 9:15 pm, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net>
wrote:
>  Big_Al  wrote  on Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:14:54 -0400:
>
> > James Silverton said this on 6/9/2010 1:16 PM:
> >> Hello All!
>
> >> My machine runs XP but has only two USB 2.0 ports. Some of
> >> the hardware that I have will function quite well on one of
> >> the two USB 1.0 ports but really, I think I need about 6 USB ports.
> >> There seem to be two possibilities: install two more
> >> USB 2.0 cards or use a plug-in multiport attachment. That
> >> last requires installation of a driver. I wonder what would
> >> be the best way to go?
>
> >> I'd be grateful for advice.
>
> >A USB Hub does not require drivers?   Or at least I've never had any.
>
> I've been asked for drivers that I did not have when using a borrowed
> plug-in multiport adapter.
>
> With the Vantec card, I got the messages "New Hardware Detected",
> "Searching for Drivers". Apparently the system found the necessary
> drivers as the instruction book said it would and I have new USB ports
> and got the message that the new hardware was ready for use. My computer
> tells me that I now have 5 new "VIA Rev. 5 or later USB Universal Host
> Controllers" so that's as expected.
>
> Let's hope it keeps working well.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

It should be be noted that most USB hub does not get installed inside
of any PCs. These are completely "self-contained" external devices
that have a USB cable to plug into a motherboard USB port and will
provide 4 to 7 USB device ports. Some are delivered with there own
power adapter which will provide additional power over the USB ports.
From: Sprechen sie von C++ on
I found USB2 cards on e-Bay for under $5 so one of those in a PCI slot will
cure that problem.

From: news.microsoft.com on
Get a hub. Never had one required a driver under XP though may under earlier
OS's.

INSURE it's USB2 and also uses it's own power supply and if it does then
check to see if it states explicitely that it provides the specified 500Ma
to each port simultaneously. Most don't provide that much info but it's
certain one without any power supply doesn't as it can only draw the one
500Ma from the pc port it's in.

The reason that's important is that many devices all attached at same time
can require more power than a "non -powered" one has, e.g. Logitech FF
Joystick/Gamepad uses 500Ma all by itself. If there's also a printer
attached and a scanner and a ... something isn't going to get enough power.

You can plug what you have in to what you have now and check what each
device uses for power and then decide if it's pertinent to you but powered
is under $30 Canadian without even looking for any bargain (non powered
often lot less and often bundled with cheap mouse etc. in a laptop carry all
kit).