From: David Nebenzahl on
On 7/28/2010 12:10 PM Ron spake thus:

> On 28/07/2010 17:50, Arfa Daily wrote:
>
>> I've just been listening to a CD through them. They sound nice, and
>> very smooth with a very flat and stiff sounding bass. Quite easy on
>> the old lug-holes, but I'm not sure that I would rate them as 16
>> grand more easy than my home-built EMI 13 x 8 cabs from the 70's
>> ... :-)
>
> Ahh 13 x 8's did they have the whizzer cone in the centre?

Whizzer cones? Are you pulling our legs?

I always associated whizzer cones with the know-nothing, 6x9 oval weird
expensive speakers to throw in the back of your car market, not anything
near audiophool quality. Am I wrong?

From: William Sommerwerck on
> I always associated whizzer cones with the know-nothing,
> 6x9 oval weird expensive speakers to throw in the back of
> your car market, not anything near audiophool quality.
> Am I wrong?

Yes, and no.

The whizzer was a kind of tweeter. But it also served the purpose (though I
don't understand the mechanics) of decoupling the central section of the
driver, allowing it to do a better job with the mids and highs.

My understanding is that there /were/ some "good" drivers with whizzers, but
I don't remember the manufacturers or models.

Please do not equate "audiophile" with "audiophool". If nothing else, it's a
rude insult to the people who have gotten high-quality sound reproduction to
the point where it is.

From: David Nebenzahl on
On 7/28/2010 1:23 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

>> I always associated whizzer cones with the know-nothing,
>> 6x9 oval weird expensive speakers to throw in the back of
>> your car market, not anything near audiophool quality.
>> Am I wrong?
>
> Please do not equate "audiophile" with "audiophool". If nothing else, it's a
> rude insult to the people who have gotten high-quality sound reproduction to
> the point where it is.

I don't equate the two; it was just a built-in disclaimer.

To a first approximation, audiophools swear by Monster cables and
gold-plated connectors, which audiophiles do not.

From: Phil Allison on

"Ron"

> Didn't Phillips do something like this back in the 70's? Motion feedback
> or some such daft name?

** Philips MFB speakers used a piezo ceramic accelerometer mounted on the
cone.

.... Phil

From: Adam Sampson on
"Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> writes:

> In many many years of servicing all sorts of hifi and audio
> amplification equipment, I don't ever recall having come across a bass
> driver with a feedback coil like this.

It's a common enough arrangement for subwoofers -- the term to search
for is "servo". Proponents claim significantly lower distortion.

--
Adam Sampson <ats(a)offog.org> <http://offog.org/>
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last