From: Arfa Daily on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> I think they called it 'David', it was a motion feedback woofer in a
>>> powered-speaker
>>> form factor. This kind of system can control the low frequency
>>> behavior
>>> of the cone very accurately. Mossbauer apparatus uses the same
>>> hardware for motion control with < .01% distortion, but that's a
>>> linear-motion
>>> measurement, no idea what the air movement effectiveness is.
>>>

>> OK, both. Don't remember the Philips system, but then the company that I
>> was working for back then, didn't do much with Philips. Still, that
>> sounds like the sort of system. Those specs for the Mossbauer are
>> impressive. I guess that's the sort of thing that it's going to be,
>> given the claimed value of these things. I've just been listening to a
>> CD through them. They sound nice, and very smooth with a very flat and
>> stiff sounding bass. Quite easy on the old lug-holes, but I'm not sure
>> that I would rate them as 16 grand more easy than my home-built EMI 13 x
>> 8 cabs from the 70's ... :-)
>>

>> Arfa
>
> Ahh 13 x 8's did they have the whizzer cone in the centre?
>
> --

Some of the 13 x 8s did have, and I seem to recall that some also had a
bracket fixed across the centre, which held a pair of black Mylar-coned
tweeters. The 13 x 8s that I used were the 'straight' bass version. I built
3 ways with them, using the matching EMI 8 x 5s for the mids, and they did
indeed (still do) have a whizzer cone in the middle. The mids are separately
baffled by their own sub-enclosure behind them, and inside the volume of the
bass cabs. The tweeters are Eagle aluminium domes. Very bright sound. I
picked them because I loved the clarity that they added to the top end of
the sorts of music that I was listening to back then - mainly heavy and
progressive rock. The crossovers are also Eagle. They used to make some good
products. I guess they don't exist any more. :-(

Arfa

From: Archon on
On 7/28/2010 8:28 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:

> Some of the 13 x 8s did have, and I seem to recall that some also had a
> bracket fixed across the centre, which held a pair of black Mylar-coned
> tweeters. The 13 x 8s that I used were the 'straight' bass version. I
> built 3 ways with them, using the matching EMI 8 x 5s for the mids, and
> they did indeed (still do) have a whizzer cone in the middle. The mids
> are separately baffled by their own sub-enclosure behind them, and
> inside the volume of the bass cabs. The tweeters are Eagle aluminium
> domes. Very bright sound. I picked them because I loved the clarity that
> they added to the top end of the sorts of music that I was listening to
> back then - mainly heavy and progressive rock. The crossovers are also
> Eagle. They used to make some good products. I guess they don't exist
> any more. :-(
>
> Arfa

Should have built the , Kef B139, B110, T27's, built them in 1976, still
using them, still sound awesome!
JC
From: Archon on

From: Arfa Daily on

"Archon" <Chipbee40_SpamNo(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 7/28/2010 8:28 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:
>
>> Some of the 13 x 8s did have, and I seem to recall that some also had a
>> bracket fixed across the centre, which held a pair of black Mylar-coned
>> tweeters. The 13 x 8s that I used were the 'straight' bass version. I
>> built 3 ways with them, using the matching EMI 8 x 5s for the mids, and
>> they did indeed (still do) have a whizzer cone in the middle. The mids
>> are separately baffled by their own sub-enclosure behind them, and
>> inside the volume of the bass cabs. The tweeters are Eagle aluminium
>> domes. Very bright sound. I picked them because I loved the clarity that
>> they added to the top end of the sorts of music that I was listening to
>> back then - mainly heavy and progressive rock. The crossovers are also
>> Eagle. They used to make some good products. I guess they don't exist
>> any more. :-(
>>
>> Arfa
>
> Should have built the , Kef B139, B110, T27's, built them in 1976, still
> using them, still sound awesome!
> JC

Friend of mine has just built some ! He bought all the drivers way back
then, and has had them 'stored' ever since from lack of finance, skill, and
will. Then, last year, he decided to build them, so had a local joinery
place cut all of the boards for him. The job still took him the better part
of a year, but he finally finished them, and was then extremely disappointed
with the sound. However, he persevered with them, and eventually found that
they were extremely critical of their positioning in the room, and performed
loads better, when elevated from the floor. He now alternates between his
Quad electrostatics, and the Kefs, depending on what he is listening to.

Arfa

From: Ron on
On 28/07/2010 21:16, David Nebenzahl wrote:
> On 7/28/2010 12:10 PM Ron spake thus:
>
>> On 28/07/2010 17:50, Arfa Daily wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been listening to a CD through them. They sound nice, and
>>> very smooth with a very flat and stiff sounding bass. Quite easy on
>>> the old lug-holes, but I'm not sure that I would rate them as 16
>>> grand more easy than my home-built EMI 13 x 8 cabs from the 70's
>>> ... :-)
>>
>> Ahh 13 x 8's did they have the whizzer cone in the centre?
>
> Whizzer cones? Are you pulling our legs?
>
> I always associated whizzer cones with the know-nothing, 6x9 oval weird
> expensive speakers to throw in the back of your car market, not anything
> near audiophool quality. Am I wrong?

Well, these were 13 x 8 " elipticals, often used in PA columns back in
the 60's tho they were still around well into the 70'. I don't think EMI
ever claimed that they were 'hifi'

However, you still see whizzers on modern speakers, Eminence still make
them. I was interested to see a speaker with a 'dual cone' in a modern
Mark Bass combo only yesterday.

Ron(UK)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4